Creating Cue Mix with MOTU and Logic

iyaron1gmail.com

A cue mix is a mix separate from the main mix, usually for a musician's headphone, with maybe the click and their own instrument louder than in the control room, and the intro sound fx missing to not confuse them more than necessary.

Because of this, you would need to use two pairs of outputs, one feeding the main monitors, the other feeding a headphone amp. Then you set up a pre-fader Send to that second pair of outputs on all Channels and Auxes, and set up the headphone mix with the Send knobs. It's important to keep the HP mix clear of any fluff, the talent needs one (1) solid timing reference and one (1) solid pitch reference. And good direction from either producer or you (not both).

If the player is in another room, you need two extra Channels with mics, one routed to the main mix (so you can hear them talk), one routed to their headphones (so they can hear you talk). There is one very useful, smart and free plugin out there named Muteomatic by Sound Radix which can automatically mute such Channels once you hit play or record.

Concerning using an interface's mixer and Logic's mixer at the same time, I personally loathe the use of several mixer layers which inevitably keep stepping on each others toes and force you to constantly hop between applications just to get basic routing and balancing done. Because of that, every of the four audio interface setups I use (from a mere 2In-2out to a more extensive 56in-28out) is set to DAW-mode, which means it's completely transparent and I can do all my routing in Logic, in plain sight.

So what you are practically saying:

1. route all through LOGIC do not use Cuemix/MOTU software?

2.I do have a separate headphone hardware that can take say outputs 3-4 from 896mk3 of MOTU [8 in and 8 out] and come out 3-4 in the separate mix and feed that to the headphone mix?

Thanks

A cue mix is a mix separate from the main mix, usually for a musician's headphone, with maybe the click and their own instrument louder than in the control room, and the intro sound fx missing to not confuse them more than necessary.

Because of this, you would need to use two pairs of outputs, one feeding the main monitors, the other feeding a headphone amp. Then you set up a pre-fader Send to that second pair of outputs on all Channels and Auxes, and set up the headphone mix with the Send knobs. It's important to keep the HP mix clear of any fluff, the talent needs one (1) solid timing reference and one (1) solid pitch reference. And good direction from either producer or you (not both).

If the player is in another room, you need two extra Channels with mics, one routed to the main mix (so you can hear them talk), one routed to their headphones (so they can hear you talk). There is one very useful, smart and free plugin out there named Muteomatic by Sound Radix which can automatically mute such Channels once you hit play or record.

Concerning using an interface's mixer and Logic's mixer at the same time, I personally loathe the use of several mixer layers which inevitably keep stepping on each others toes and force you to constantly hop between applications just to get basic routing and balancing done. Because of that, every of the four audio interface setups I use (from a mere 2In-2out to a more extensive 56in-28out) is set to DAW-mode, which means it's completely transparent and I can do all my routing in Logic, in plain sight.