Logic Pro Drive I/O Spike

tonybeemusic

Hi All,

i have 40 stems and have imported them as 40 separate audio tracks on to a new Logic Pro project. I have adjusted the audio preferences for better CPU workflow and power. However the Drive I/O keeps spiking the full bar as I monitor the CPU usaged and whilst playing all the audio tracks. The processing threads remain low and fluctuate only a margin of the bar monitor. Trying to understand why the CPU overload keeps popping up constantly. Please help

If you have 40 open files on, especially, a non-SSD drive, then the drive just might not be able to keep up – literally, "it can't move fast enough." In which case you will need to re-design your project appropriately. For instance, you might need to un-mute about ten or so audio tracks at one time and "bounce" them down into one that will replace them. If a file is muted it will be ignored.

Anytime you run up against a hardware limit, whether it be CPU or I/O or both, you have to rearrange your workflow to compensate by adding more, smaller steps that build up to the final product. Logic's designers thought very hard about how to make that very easy to do in several different ways.

(If you're working with audio stems, "CPU" is unlikely to ever be an issue.)

SSD drives are typically more responsive because they have no moving parts: no read/write head that has to be moved back and forth. A big(!) external SSD drive is very cheap these days at any office supply store. Maybe that will help you?

Edited by MikeRobinson