Clean Up Project - option checkbox glitch?

rafesco

Hi!

When I'm pulling up the "Clean Up" menu, whenever I deselect "Delete Backup Files" it also deselects "Delete Unused Audio Files". And when I select "Delete Unused Audio Files", it also selects "Delete Backup Files" back. Using Logic Pro 10.7.1.

I want to delete my unused audio files and keep my backup files - but now I'm being forced to keep all the bloat in order to preserve my backups.

I don't remember noticing this behaviour before. Is this a new bug?

Thanks!

Rafael

Not having a fix for this, but generally, I only ever use 'Select Unused' followed by 'Delete Selected' in the Project Audio window, because this lets me see what I'm about to delete, think about it, and quickly deselect that final master of the other song that I pulled into the project for comparison but of course didn't use in the main window, before anyone notices that I was about to make quite a few people unhappy, including myself.

• 9 months later...

exactly! - it eliminates and potential conflicts of having deleted unused regions pointing to either audio files ( either partial or full ) and then having previously saved backups point to non-existent audio files. So choosing delete unused will also delete backups and that is by design ( no way around it that I know of). Although I find it interesting if you delete unused audio in the current project that is not referenced in previous backups ( but rather only previously in the current one) it still forces both to be checked.  

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 12:03 AM, volovicg said:

I find it interesting if you delete unused audio in the current project that is not referenced in previous backups ( but rather only previously in the current one) it still forces both to be checked.  

That's the thing. This specific "delete unused files" option deletes files that aren't referenced anywhere in the project's folder - I already tested that by making duplicates of the .logicx file in the same folder. So deleting backups shouldn't be any trouble in that regard. On the other hand, if you go with the "Browser > Select Unused > Delete" path, files that are referenced in backups could be lost, so this still looks like a glitch to me. Also, I don't think this happened before Logic 10.7 or 10.6 (I could be wrong though)

9 minutes ago, rafesco said:

Also, I don't think this happened before Logic 10.7 or 10.6 (I could be wrong though)

Actually, you are wrong. Behaviour is exactly the same in 10.4.0 10.2.2.

IMO this is not a glitch, but desired behaviour. Basically, one would never have a chance to properly clean up unused audio files from a project if Logic would just not clean up files that are still used by some backup, especially when saving often (which is recommended ;) ). And keeping backups that reference files that no longer exist makes no sense either.

Edited by polanoid

1 hour ago, polanoid said:

Actually, you are wrong. Behaviour is exactly the same in 10.4.0 10.2.2.

IMO this is not a glitch, but desired behaviour. Basically, one would never have a chance to properly clean up unused audio files from a project if Logic would just not clean up files that are still used by some backup, especially when saving often (which is recommended ;) ). And keeping backups that reference files that no longer exist makes no sense either.

Thanks for verifying my statement about older Logic versions! I don’t know if that makes me happier about the issue though haha! 

As I said in my previous post, “Delete Unused Files” doesn’t delete files that are referenced in backups. It deletes files that aren’t referenced anywhere in the folder, be it used by another .logicx inside the same folder or by a project backup.

You can test that by doing the following:

1. Create a project “A” as a folder and import two files, “1” and “2”. Save it.

2. Go to File > Revert to and open the backup that's just been created, then go to File  > Save Copy As, and save it as project “B”. This will create a B.logicx file inside the folder.

3. Delete file "2" reference in project "A" by opening the Browser window, selecting "2" and pressing backspace/delete.

4. Go to Project Management > Clean Up and hit “Delete Unused Files”. 

5. Notice that no files are deleted, because “2” is still referenced in “B”. In fact, if you open "B" now, "2" will be there.

I attached this test in case you want to check the end result yourself.

This is the difference between “Delete Unused Files” and the Select Unused > Delete (with cmd + delete) under the Browser window.

If you deleted the files using the Browser method, they’d be missing from project B, because this method deletes files that aren’t used in the current project, therefore deleting the reference along with it. The “Delete Unused Files” option deletes files that aren’t referenced by any project/backup/alternative in the folder.

This is why it does make sense to use Delete Unused Files without deleting backups, also the reason why I still think it’s a glitch, given that it would NOT delete files referenced in my backups.

Clean Up Test.zip

1 hour ago, rafesco said:

“Delete Unused Files” doesn’t delete files that are referenced in backups

That's not what I wrote. My take is: Files you just deleted from your project are likely still referenced in backups. Logic does not want to

a) protect too many files unused in the "active" version of the project from deletion because they are still used in backups AND

b) leave file references in backups that can no longer be resolved.

Hence, your only choice is to delete both unused files AND backups, ONLY the backups, or none of the two.

Of course you are free to call this a glitch, but I strongly feel that if you reported this to Apple, they will not address this, for exactly this reason.

Edited by polanoid