Normalising audio gain to another region

JoshJ

How can I normalise an audio region to match the peak volume of another audio region? Is this is not possible automatically, how can I get the peak volume reading of the reference audio region, on order to manually apple to the target region using the Gain function?

During mastering clients often send me multiple mix versions once they've updated a mix. I want to slot the new mix into my mastering chain that has already been gain staged to fit the previous mix, but the next mix they send is a few DB louder/quieter. So I want to stage the next mix to feed into my mastering chain at exactly the same peak level as the previous mix.

You can use the function "Normalize Region Gain..." to get the same peak level on all your regions, look in the Track areas local "functions" menu...

Apparently, Josh wants to keep the region that peaks the highest at the original level, and normalize the others to peak at that same level. I don't believe that can be done in any kind of automatic way in Logic Pro?

Also, taking note of the peak level of the region you want to match to, it should only be to enter this value in the "normalize region gain" dialog ?

Yes, that's what I had in mind when I suggested the "Search Peak" function in the Audio File editor, so that he would know what value to enter in the Normalize Region Gain dialog. I just assumed Josh was aware of Normalize Region Gain but I realize now that it wasn't mentioned earlier in this topic, so it's actually a good thing you brought it up! :D

You can use the function "Normalize Region Gain..." to get the same peak level on all your regions, look in the Track areas local "functions" menu...

Apparently, Josh wants to keep the region that peaks the highest at the original level, and normalize the others to peak at that same level. I don't believe that can be done in any kind of automatic way in Logic Pro?

It can. Just find out the peak level of the original (see my post above), then select all regions and do a Normalize Region Gain and set the Target Level to that Peak Level. Make sure to set "Affect" to "Individual Regions"

Thanks guys. How do I get a peak reading of the WHOLE audio region though without having to play through the entire file (the loudest peak in the file)? David, is this what you mentioned I could do from the File editor?

What I wrote above: Actually you can get the peak level of a region in the Tracks Area by using the Normalize Region Gain function. Use 0.0 dB as target level, and if the Region Inspector now displays e.g. 5.0 dB as Region Gain, the peak level was -5.0 dB

In your case, use a region that spans the entire audio file.

Step by step instruction, just in case:

1) drag audio file into the tracks area

2) select the resulting region

3) choose Functions->Normalize Region Gain...

4) Set Algorithm to Peak and Target Level to 0.0dB

5) Press Apply

6) Check the Region inspector, note down which value is displayed now for Gain

7) add a minus sign in front of the value you noted down

that's it ;) You can simply set the region gain to 0.0 dB again in the region inspector after that (Normalize Region Gain is non-destructive).

Edited by polanoid