Play From Position From Within Cycle...What Am I Missing?!

velanche

Hey Folks:

While in cycle mode, whenever I pause the playhead, I want to resume playing from that location.

This was my assumption when I first went to add a command to "Play From Position" with a keyboard command I added, since there was none enabled. I did so, but it did not produce the desired effect. Instead, it just resets play to the start of the locator.

I read a thread with a whole bunch of supposedly different ways to achieve this result with various key commands, from period-enter to double-period to opt-enter, and none of them worked.

I'm on the latest Logic, 10.7.1.

Thanks.

I read a thread with a whole bunch of supposedly different ways to achieve this result with various key commands, from period-enter to double-period to opt-enter, and none of them worked.

It's period-enter however on the numeric keypad of an extended keyboard. If you are using a standard keyboard, you could reassign the pause key command to something else to achieve that.

This was my assumption when I first went to add a command to "Play From Position" with a keyboard command I added, since there was none enabled. I did so, but it did not produce the desired effect.

There's no command called "Play From Position" in 10.7.1 so I'm not sure which key command you're referring to? In any case see if Radiussound's suggestion is what you're looking for and if it's not let us know ?

Hello David:

When I press the period key on my keyboard (an Apple extended wireless keyboard), the playhead fast forwards and does not wait for me to hold down the enter key. And even when I do hold the enter key, the playhead keeps moving.

I did not get the entire command down; it should be "Stop or Play From Last Position." Unassigned originally, I did assign it. But again, using it only restarts from left locator.

I'll try out the other click command, but I do work faster with key commands so I'm hoping to sort that out in the end. I'll let y'all know if that works.

Thanks, David.

Okay, found the Pause key. On the extended keyboard, it's the period on the numeric keyboard.

Yes, I said that earlier! :D

However, pressing it again resets the playhead instead of resuming from where the playhead stopped.

Why would you press it again? Just press it once, then press "Play" which should be the Enter key on your numeric keypad.

Yes, I said that earlier! :D

I understand that David, but it took me a minute to grasp the specificity between Pause on the spacebar and similar command on the numeric key. But now I get it.

Why would you press it again? Just press it once, then press "Play" which should be the Enter key on your numeric keypad.

I tripped up when I press Enter twice, which does reset back to the beginning. Now I get it; enter once. Plus, the period turns out to be a toggle, as pressing it a second time does resume from where the playhead stopped.

Thanks for being patient; took me a few tries to finally pull it all together. Also, that area of the keyboard gets seldom used, again something else to get used to.

For sure, gonna add this to my keyboard shortcuts cheat sheet.

Again, thank you!

I understand that David, but it took me a minute to grasp the specificity between Pause on the spacebar and similar command on the numeric key. But now I get it.

Oh I see. Spacebar does not pause, per se. Spacebar toggles between Stop and Play.

Plus, the period turns out to be a toggle, as pressing it a second time does resume from where the playhead stopped.

The period is the "Pause" key command. When paused, Logic resumes playback from where the playhead is positioned. When stopped, Logic resumes playback from the left locator if Cycle mode is enabled.

Thanks for being patient; took me a few tries to finally pull it all together. Also, that area of the keyboard gets seldom used, again something else to get used to.

You're welcome! It's a great opportunity to have an extended keyboard as you have many more key command readily available that are more complex to map for us tiny keyboard users. :D

Thanks for clarifying the distinction between Pause and Play/Stop. They sometimes seem to be similar, until they're not!

Even without an extended keyboard, keyboard shortcuts are great workflow enhancements. The ones I know I'll use, I made my own cheat sheet for them and just add on as needed. Any more of them on the extended keyboard, I'm sure to find out over time as I become aware of features and tools to help aid the workflow.

Thanks David, everyone!