Double notes when using Musical Typing

Koofarapoliphenol

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting double notes when using Musical Typing. No other MIDI instruments are connected. It might happen when I'm holding down notes for a bar rather than short ones. And it doesn't appear to be just one stuck letter. It happens on all letters.

Any ideas?

Wild guess here: I wonder if that might be due to the keyboard's auto repeat setting.

I need to find out how to get notified when I have a reply. I thought I'd set it.

Under your Avatar picture (top right of this web page) > User Control Panel > Profile > Edit account settings > Email address, enter a valid email address and once done click on Submit.

Also, make sure that your mail app doesn't filter or trash what is coming from Logic Pro Help.

Under your Avatar picture (top right of this web page) > User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options > Posting Notifications, make sure to checkmark the appropriate options under Email column as well and once done click on Submit

...Wild guess here: I wonder if that might be due to the keyboard's auto repeat setting.

I've never seen or used that setting before, so I've turned it off.

Then a test of recording 40 notes produced about 4 doubles near the beginning. So, it seems to be better, but I'm not sure yet.

But that should rule out one possible source thanks.

Under your Avatar picture (top right of this web page) > User Control Panel > Profile > Edit account settings > Email address, enter a valid email address and once done click on Submit.

Also, make sure that your mail app doesn't filter or trash what is coming from Logic Pro Help.

Under your Avatar picture (top right of this web page) > User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit notification options > Posting Notifications, make sure to checkmark the appropriate options under Email column as well and once done click on Submit

All of those settings are correct (and all selected) but I haven't had a notification mail since September, and no notification of your reply either. Nothing in my spam folder.

Grrr.

Thanks for the info though. Much appreciated.

Update: I wasn't subscribed to my own topics! How could that be right or useful?

I don't see a way to save the checks I place to subscribe to my own topics. If I navigate away then come back to that page the check marks are gone!

I managed to unsubscribe to this topic, now I'm subscribed again. I wonder if I'll be notified.

Unfortunately, notifications don't work for some users, I suppose depending on how your email host treats the automatic emails coming from our servers. I can control what is being sent on our end, unfortunately I cannot control what is being received, filtered out, or moved to a spam folder, on your end. I strongly suggest you bookmark your question and visit the page on a regular basis at least during the few days/weeks after you post, to see whether or not it's received new answers.

Thanks for the reply David

The notifications problem is odd, because I did get some around August September, but not now. I use gmail. I think I'll make a contact for this site, and see if that helps. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

The double notes problem seems better though not completely solved. I'll add more information in this thread when I have some.

Is it possible I'm having a MIDI echo problem as described below?

"When you select the interface (project settings>Midi>Instrument Without Mid Thru function), you must toggle one channel in and out of Live Mode in order for the change to be realized. I have confirmed it does work and will disable Midi Thru for one or the entire port if selected. However if you just select the interface from the dropdown and either via listening or with a midi monitor - still hear or see the notes being sent out from Logic to the interface - just toggle the record button on one of the tracks ( if it's a port) or the track with the channel you are trying to disable (if its only one channel you want to disable) and Voila! - Midi thru is disabled. "

If the issue is with the Musical Typing window and you don't have any MIDI devices connected to your Mac then no, it cannot be related to any kind of MIDI echo.

When you say double notes, can you check the note positions and length in the Event List: are they exactly the same or slightly different? What about the MIDI channels?

Is this a custom template or are you starting from a new empty project?

OK, so MIDI echo off the list of possibles.

Re Event List: I just tried a test and out of about 50 notes I played, only one repeated. The next time it happens more than a few times, I'll get the info.

I usually start from a custom template. Why would that be relevant?

Many thanks for persevering with this.

I'm starting to wonder if it could be sticky keys on my keyboard.

Re Event List: I just tried a test and out of about 50 notes I played, only one repeated. The next time it happens more than a few times, I'll get the info.

I guess you have been cautious in your performance...

I usually start from a custom template. Why would that be relevant?
A template is a project which could get corrupted.

Many thanks for persevering with this.

I'm starting to wonder if it could be sticky keys on my keyboard.

Thus my mention here about auto repeat...

Same note, different length, same MIDI channel I think. I didn't take a lot of notice of it, as I could only get it to repeat once during that test.

Just did another test, this time loads of repeating notes:

1. position: repeats immediately after 1st note

2. length: 1st note length "0 1 0", 2nd repeated note is the length until I release the key

3. MIDI channel is 1. All notes in test are same channel.

4. Repeating notes key: A spread from E2 up to E3

5. It happens more often when I play a run of notes that overlap each other. If I play slowly, one note at a time, it doesn't seem to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what you're playing or how you're playing but the qwerty keyboard on your computer has limitations and doesn't behave like a MIDI Controller keyboard.

Example:

1. Open any text editor.

2. Press and hold down the A key. An A is written.

3. Press and hold down the W key. A W is written.

4. Press and hold down the S key. Nothing is written.

5. Release the A key. An S is written.

This behavior is the same when using Musical Typing in Logic: press and hold down a C, C# and D and only the C and C# are played. Release the C and the D is played.

There are many other combinations affected by this kind of behavior.

I'm not sure what you're playing or how you're playing but the qwerty keyboard on your computer has limitations and doesn't behave like a MIDI Controller keyboard.

Example:

1. Open any text editor.

2. Press and hold down the A key. An A is written.

3. Press and hold down the W key. A W is written.

4. Press and hold down the S key. Nothing is written.

5. Release the A key. An S is written.

This behavior is the same when using Musical Typing in Logic: press and hold down a C, C# and D and only the C and C# are played. Release the C and the D is played.

There are many other combinations affected by this kind of behavior.

That is a strange behavior I wasn't aware of...

I wonder what is the rationale behind it?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late back to this topic.

I'm playing a single note, holding it down for a bar, then releasing it and playing another.

As I mentioned before, in order to troubleshoot, I turned off the repeat function.

Maybe I'm just going to have to accept this as a limitation of a qwerty keyboard when entering notes. It's too tempting when I want to get an idea in quickly. I generally don't have my midi controller plugged in and ready to go. Space is very limited with my 3000 LPs in the same room!

I'm playing a single note, holding it down for a bar, then releasing it and playing another.

Ok then as long as you're entering only one note at a time and always release the previous key before you press a new key then it should work as expected.

Are you using a custom Logic template? Or can you reproduce this same exact issue when starting from a new empty project (File > New)?

What if you try creating a new user account on your Mac and try there, as a troubleshooting step?

Ok then as long as you're entering only one note at a time and always release the previous key before you press a new key then it should work as expected.

I don't think it is. It's triggering an extra note while I'm holding that one note alone.

Are you using a custom Logic template? Or can you reproduce this same exact issue when starting from a new empty project (File > New)?

Probably. I'll try an empty project.

What if you try creating a new user account on your Mac and try there, as a troubleshooting step?

Will try that too.

Thanks

Probably. I'll try an empty project.

Will try that too.

Thanks

You're welcome. Let us know what you find out! :D