Editing channels in I/O-plugin when using 500-units?

haubanhof
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Equipment used:

- Cranborne 500R8 (audio interface/"lunchbox")

- 2x Great River MP-500NV (preamps)

One Great River preamp cover two slots physically, but are mono.

That means that when having a pair of these the active channels will be 1 and 3, while 2 and 4 are vacant - which leads me to my question: how do I route stereotracks to the preamps via the I/O-plugin when it only offers channels 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8?

Can I edit the available channels to be for example 1-3? If not - what will be the best way of solving this? Just hard panning the preamps?

If you connect device A's both channels to IO 3-4 and device B's both channels to IO 5-6, leaving IO 1-2 for the Stereo Out, it should work just fine ?

Sorry if I have misunderstood your answer; device A and B only has one channel each, but covers two channels/slots on the lunchbox physically. So one of these mono-units can't be connected to any of the IO-plugins stereo-options (3-4, 5-6 etc) I think?

To my understanding I have to do some routing somewhere in order to make Logic belive the preamps is on slot 3 and 4 and not 3 and 5? I hope I am wrong!

So you're not connecting analog cables but using virtual streams inside the audio device, I see.

The stereo pairs are not changeable inside Logic, so there is no easy way to solve this. Here's an idea:

1364825341_Bildschirmfoto2021-12-30um13_24_32.thumb.png.3a672e6eda2fbe9f255bb39e6e19debe.png

Since for some reason the IO plugin in a stereo channel is only available as Stereo but not as Dual Mono, we need to put additional correcting IO plugins into the actual mono input and mono output channel strips. These are not normally visible and you have to create them in the Environment like in my picture (which isn't completely accurate as I don't have this many IOs available right now).

The idea is to put an IO plugin into the mono Output 4 and use that to route to the actual output 5, and likewise another IO plugin into the mono Input 4 to receive the actual input 5.

From then on you should be able to use IO 3-4 in any IO plugin across a stereo channel.

I haven't tested this, so I have no idea if there are any internal restrictions keeping this from working properly. Report back your findings.

• 2 weeks later...
The idea is to put an IO plugin into the mono Output 4 and use that to route to the actual output 5, and likewise another IO plugin into the mono Input 4 to receive the actual input 5.

From then on you should be able to use IO 3-4 in any IO plugin across a stereo channel.

I have finally received the units and are now able to test this. Unfortunately I have never been in the environment-area before so I suspect I have routed something wrong because this far I was not able to get stereo from the I/O-plugin 3-4. Any clues?

En.thumb.png.4ab29501b4a32404073c5c5a1b4fd381.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Hmm. Works fine here:

1443230517_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-25um18_05_42.thumb.png.4b8c4bb23ef5262ebcceb1de26b2ed77.png

For the concept:

- top left there's a stereo track which has a stereo IO plugin to outputs 3-4 and back through input 3-4 (nothing is connected here for proof) . Signal is only there in right channel as nothing comes back in through input 3 (we're only dealing with the right channel here)

- next are mono outputs 3 and 4 (only 3 shows signal as 4 routes its signal elsewhere)

- the mono IO in output 4 routes to output 5 (its return doesn't matter, we're only using output 4 to get to output 5)

- output 5 shows that it actually is getting signal (from output 4's IO plugin)

This makes sure that signal on right channel arrives at output 5. Now on to the return, in the second row:

- Input 5 shows processed signal

- IO plugin in input 4 grabs this signal from input 5

- now signal from input 5 is also in input 4, which in turn arrives back in the original stereo channel's stereo IO and from there to the Stereo Out.

If you can't get this to work, zip your project file (without any audio files) and upload it here.

I haven't tested this, so I have no idea if there are any internal restrictions keeping this from working properly.

I managed to set it up exactly as you did in yesterday's post.

And it works! Everything works as it should. Thank you so much for helping me out with this.