New M1 MBP- ext HD recommend

Minimoog

Howdy,

So I just got a new M1 Pro, MBP...16GB ram, and 10 cores. I'm supposed to be impressed, but actually it isn't performing much better than my old 2015 MBP.

I realize it is most likely the 2 SATA external drives for samples and audio that are bottlenecking things. These are old drives.

So what are folks with MBP M1's using for external drives these days?

thanks!

MM

Definitely SSD drives. There are all kinds of drives at different price points depending on your budget and your need for speed. Also always double-check the connections available on the drive, and how you're going to connect to your Mac (USB? Thunderbolt?). Also consider the capacity you'll need, 500GB, 1TB and 2TB being the best sweet spot price points nowadays.

GOOD: For example I just purchased a little Samsung T5 which works just fine and is quite inexpensive, the size of a thick credit card - Data transfer is 540MB/s.

THE BEST: At the other end of the spectrum you can get probably the fastest external SSD drive out there, the lightning fast Samsung X5 - Data transfer is 40GB/s.

IN BETWEEN: In between those two extremes you can get a perfectly decent, very fast drive without breaking the bank by choosing the SanDisk Extreme Pro.

I have 2x1TB T5s and they're great. I use a 2TB T7 for NI K13 UCE which runs at just over 1TB if you install everything, but a few of the libraries get installed on internal by default. Id recommend never letting them get too full as they are said to markedly slow down. I like no less then 30% free but at a pinch would go to 25% if I had to. All my Samsungs are less than 50% used.

Howdy,

So I just got a new M1 Pro, MBP...16GB ram, and 10 cores. I'm supposed to be impressed, but actually it isn't performing much better than my old 2015 MBP.

I realize it is most likely the 2 SATA external drives for samples and audio that are bottlenecking things. These are old drives.

So what are folks with MBP M1's using for external drives these days?

thanks!

MM

I cannot speak for anyone else on the Forum but I personally have been using extraordinarily fast SSD's on Thunderbolt 3 with the 13" M1 MBP.

I use the Trebleet M.2 SSD Enclosure with NVMe media. I use the inexpensive WD Blue M.2 2280's which currently I have 1TB in use.

These are magnificent drive bays but hard to get a handle on in todays market. I found mine here:

https://www.trebleet.com/product-page/trebleet-thunderbolt-3-to-nvme-m-2-2280-hard-drive-case-ssd-enclosure

https://amzn.to/3I8MtQk

A good TB3 drive bay for M.2 media that is a cheaper alternative with less speed is available here:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB3ENVXP00/

Thanks to all for the suggestions, it's been a while. Crazy how fast things change. I remember when there was talk of us being able to record direct to RAM at one time.

I just ordered a pair of Samsung T7's,...1050 MB/....not exactly cheap....hope this helps

thanks again!

MM