Software monitoring to overdub ? [SOLVED]

NoPro
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I don’t remember having to have that on to hear myself recording to overdub against other tracks

? Either I didn’t notice the green software monitoring button or I am having a moment ? Does this sound correct ? Then I turn off software monetizing when I’m mixing ….

• Solution

Don't turn off software monetizing when you're mixing, it will not make your mixes better and you somehow have to put bread on the table.

During recording you can either listen to your input signal though Logic (with FX) with Software Monitoring on, or though your interface with Software Monitoring off (and no FX) but Direct (or similar) Monitoring turned up on your interface.

Whether or not the green button for SM shows up in your Control Bar can be customized with ctrl-click.

Hmm …….somehow I must have turned software monitoring off (unchecked it or hit some key command combination )

Once I couldn’t hear myself while overdubbing I then reengaged it by customizing and clicked the green icon …..knowing it needs to on is important though so thank you !

So how the heck do I leave software monitoring on permanently but not have to see the GREEN icon on ….which I had to customize because I was getting no sound when overdubbing ?

Do not customize your Control bar. Or if you have a custom control bar, customize it and hide the Software Monitoring button.

Then choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio, click the "General" tab, and make sure software monitoring is selected.

441297595_audiopreferences.png.b8235b2cbaf23d13bce2332af4c10eca.png

So I see I have software monitoring checked already as you showed under general ….I then unchecked software monitoring in the custom bar. Same thing ….no sound unless I customize with software monitoring on ….?

Keep it selected in the preferences. There's no need to customize the Control bar and show the button, which is just basically a remote control for that preference. Hide the button, you don't need it, just keep that preference selected and close the preference window, then never worry about it ever again. :)