Splitting guitar signal within Logic [SOLVED]

Breenfactor
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hello, everybody

I own an Apollo Twin X with several plugins and I am trying to get Adam Jones' tone (Tool) as best as I can being strictly itb. That basically means using a Diezel VH4 amp sim, but I would also be able to have a second amp like he does, in this case I would be using a Marshall Plexi amp sim (even though he uses a Marshall 1976 super bass amp, but well nvm).

I only have one Hi-Z input and no DI boxes or ABY pedals at the moment, and I would like to be able to split the signal going into my Hi-Z Apollo input to feed both amp sims on different tracks.

Any possible solutions using Logic or UAD Console would be really appreciated:)

• Solution

- Set up a recording Track

- On that Track, set up two Pre Fader Sends at 0dB to Bus 1 and Bus 2

- Turn down the Track's fader

- Scroll to the right of the Mixer. Here are two Auxes which got automatically created as you created the Sends, receiving Bus 1 and Bus 2

- Put Amp A in Aux 1 and Amp B in Aux 2

Done

I would use the output of the channel strip instead of sends, and using one bus instead of two, like this:

Set the output of the audio track to a bus, this will create an aux with this bus set to its input, insert the first ampsim on this aux. Go to the mixer and create one more aux, with the same bus as input. On this aux, insert the second ampsim. Done.

1371622116_Splitguitarsignal.thumb.png.a8b6d6a870d1d0bd73388eec076c355b.png

I would use the output of the channel strip instead of sends, and using one bus instead of two

That's most likely what I would do as well, although the two solutions (yours and Christian's) both have their own pros and cons.

Having sends allows for an easy way to control how much signal goes into each amp individually, which can be nice when working with guitar amps where the input level affects the color of the sound imparted by the preamp stage.

Using the output slot as Jakob suggested is more straightforward, makes for an easy way to create more Auxes if you want to split the signal in 3 or 4, and avoids having to deal with send level knobs and multiple bus numbers to keep track of.