Time Quantise (Classic) question

DiBosco

I'm running 10.7.2 on an M1 Pro Macbook and have a question about the Time Quantise (Classic) function. When you hit E for edit and bring up the piano roll, there is this thing called:

Time Quantise (Classic) with the letter Q next to it and below that there's a drop down list. Every time I set this to off and take focus away from that track, when I come back it's set to 1/16th again. I'm having terrible problems playing vDrums drums that sound absolutely fine in real time but sound stilted when you listen back. As fas as I can see all quantise and snap is turned off, so this Time Quantise (Classic) imakes me wonder whether it is the problem.

I'm not clear whether this only quantises when you actually hit Q (I have now disabled the shortcuts so I don't do it by accident), whether it always quantises it when that's set to 1/16th or other (whether or not you press Q) or whether it only quantises it when recording if it's not set to off. It's so easy to forget this and ideally I'd like to turn all quantise and snap off *completely* as we're using logic as a hard disk recording system and although playing to click, want that real feel.

Is anyone able to clarify exactly how this works and whether it's possible to disable all of this completely?

Many thanks!

In the Main window, with a MIDI track selected, click on the background so no Region is selected. The Inspector to the left reads 'MIDI Defaults'. What is set here will be applied to every subsequent MIDI recording. Change 'Quantize' to Off and you're set.

Thanks for the reply. :-)

I had done that (sorry, I should have said that was one of the tricks I'd tried). However, it still remains that if I take the focus away from the drum track, then go back to it, 1/16th is selected in the edit window.

If you look at your recorded notes, you see that none of them is moved to any 16th note near or far. I fail to see the problem here if 16th is pre-selected as the most common form of quantisation, ready to be applied to the selected notes with the Q button. If you don't want quantisation, then don't push the Q button.