Basic MIDI Channel Question

Music Spirit

One of the students I teach over Zoom ( they screenshare and run their Logic Project) has this problem:

1/ Inputs notes via step input to form a chord with both hands on a Piano stave ( Midi Channel 1 = Treble Clef Channel 2 = Bass Clef)

2/ Normally when I do this all notes come in to the Treble Clef on Channel 1 - then use the Separation Tool or Click Select the Left hand notes and move them to Channel 2

3/ When the chord is played back only the Treble Notes ( ie Midi channel 1) sounds - those notes moved to other midi channels do not sound.

Two questions:

A) What settings need to change to make all channels sound in the above set up? ( On mine Channel 2 and other channels play back normally_

B) What settings need to change in order to input notes ONLY on a given Channel other than Channel 1 - on my setup even if I change my Master Keyboard to output Channel 2 ( a Korg SG1 with a dedicated pot in the front to adjust midi channel) - Logic only receives on Channel 1

What would I need to do in order to Input ONLY on Channel 2 ie directly to the bass clef stave?

I'm not a score guy but I seem to remember a thread here where it was seen that whatever you did, step input only ever created events on MIDI channel 1 - a search might turn the thread up.

I'm not sure if this is your issue (someone else can weigh in) it's just it's tickling some vague thread memories...

I'm not a score guy but I seem to remember a thread here where it was seen that whatever you did, step input only ever created events on MIDI channel 1 - a search might turn the thread up.

I'm not sure if this is your issue (someone else can weigh in) it's just it's tickling some vague thread memories...

Good point - I also remember a thread on that.. but how does one find it? I tried various search terms and nothing comes up on this

Indeed there are a few threads discussing this limitation in Logic Pro:

• Step Record Midi only sends Midi Channel 1?

• Logic erroneously writing all MIDI data as Channel 1

• Score Editor - Midi Channel per stave Input

Make sure in the track inspector - the midi channel is set to all - if it is set to 1 or another channel - all notes regardless of their note event midi channel will be channelized or sent to channel 1. Also the step input has channel designator in the upper right corner .... i can't recall if the is work properly with an external keyboard, but it does with the built in step editor keyboard.

1419719288_stepinput.thumb.gif.9cbde10b50cdfb6b3c38282f24c7b40a.gif