Hard to Hear Self While Recording through Audio Interface Scarlet 2i2

quitobarajas

I posted here https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=161396&p=847471#p847471 a while ago facing some issues with hearing myself but it seemed it was hard to receive feedback based on the video I provided last time. I will fully take into account @fuzzfilth's advice on that post if there's nothing else to be gained from talking about setting appropriate recording levels.

Here's the easy-to-follow video:

FWIW when recording voice I always use local monitoring from the interface, leaving DAW software monitoring off and (most importantly) temporarily turning down the DAW master volume (e.g. Stereo Out) significantly (maybe -12dB or more), looking for just enough backing track volume to support a good performance.

I think ideally that makes a lot more sense but the issue still remains that even if I use the direct monitor on my audio interface I need to turn up the interfaces volume a significant amount.

I guess it doesn’t really matter in the end though as long as I can hear myself. Now in a previous post a user was talking about Sending pre-fader audio to a vocal recording track. Is there a way to send pre-fader audio while still being able to turn down the master DAW volume or should I bus out all my instrument tracks and use that bus to turn all my instruments down when I need to record myself?

Well, what's a "significant" amount? As long as it's not 100% I don't see the problem. It could be something as simple as the taper on the volume control.

How hot are you running the mike input level?

Lik Akitru wrote, I'll often turn down the level. I just use the volume controls on the computer keyboard. Normally I have those maxed out, but for recording I just turn it down to get a proper balance. Using the Dim button on the Master strip could also be used for this.

I guess it doesn’t really matter in the end though as long as I can hear myself

Here's another way you can try that I use for guitar players with headphones that always say "I can't hear myself":

Turn software monitoring back on.

Add a gain plugin on your vocal track, crank to your liking. Don't worry, it won't clip the recording because it's after the input.

After I do this, the guitar player always goes "the guitar is too loud, can you bring it down?"

And always remember to get rid of latency-inducing plugins for this because you're not direct-monitoring anymore.

Here's another way you can try

This might work well in a studio environment where you have a) proper gain staging so you don't clip the output and also a capable headphone amp with b) decent headroom and c) sufficient power driving even low-impedance headphones loud enough.

OP's project does not have a) and the 2i2's headphone amp does not have b) nor c).

OP's project does not have a) and the 2i2's headphone amp does not have b) nor c).

To add to your explanation and clarify the setup being used:

27'' iMac - Scarlett 2i4. Headphone output goes to a Livewire 4 output headphone amp (what used to be Rolls). Nothing fancy.

So maybe getting that affordable headphone amp is a viable option.