Issues with BPM when importing audio [SOLVED]

Chicster
Go to solution Solved by Chicster,

• Solution
Apologies - just went back to my original PT files and yes, you are quite right, that track was indeed 150. I blame my inadequate filing abilities for putting it in the 130 folder! Wish I had picked a 94 or 105 now as an example - I NEVER use those time signatures and I know that are not right... but anyway...we are going round in circles and I don't want to waste anyone's time anymore than I have. All good...

Yes - that is what I get in LPX. I double checked this time before I posted tho: see the attached from ProTools.

Not that it necessarily proves anything about bpm...but just highlights that I am not going completely nuts!

That is what you would get in any app: Pro Tools, Cubase... etc. if you tried to play the metronome in sync with that audio file.

In any app, you can set the tempo to anything you'd like, unrelated to the media you have inside the file. That does not mean the media plays music at that tempo. Like I said earlier:

All I can say is it is 130 in ProTools (and Cubase as it was mixed in that).

It's possible that in Pro Tools (or Cubase) the file's tempo was mistakenly set to 130, however the audio is undeniably playing a 150 bpm beat, so in that case, if you turned on a metronome in Pro Tools (or Cubase), the metronome would not be in sync with the audio.

You can play the audio file on any kind of playback systems other than Logic if you want to verify that it plays at the same speed (QuickLook, QuickTime, Music, etc....).

105 is undoubtedly correct. Again, 90 has a *substantially* different feel from 105. I can't imagine recording a song at 90, thinking it is 105 or vice versa. Are you absolutely, positively sure that what we hear is the actual tempo that you recorded the drums in while you, the drummer and the engineer nodded their heads in 90 ? Like, really ?

I'm still not ruling out the possibility of Something Strange Has Happened™ in the transfer ProTools > Logic or Elastic Audio > Sample Rate > Flex Time.

All I can add is that I wrote that original song 6 years ago. I played the demo backing track to click in PT at the tempo in the header - 90. Paul recorded the drums against that backing track and click. It said 90 at the time and still says 90. After the drum session, I took the drum tracks back, imported them into PT in a new session, set the tempo at 90 so the grid worked and redid the guitars, keys and vox to final recording quality. Then it went for mixing in a folder marked track name and bpm...

Mibbe I am going mad after all...or I'm just old.

Not to worry. I'm sure you have better things to do than chase this round and round!

Thanks.