Logic Pro x and xenyx qx1202usb

wonkyfunk303

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a mare.

So I bought the mentioned mixer/USB audio interface to record my td-3 into logic, hoping that I could play my main back track through the USB and out to the speakers whilst doing a live take on the td-3. However I can only get on or the other, so I can record the audio directly into logic via USB, but cannot seem to have it working both ways at the same time (the laid out stuff in logic playing, whilst recording my take into logic).

I'm at my wits end tbh, does this mean that I now need to buy a separate audio interface or is there another way?

I hope what I have said makes sense.

The mixer seems to only be capable of one-way traffic via USB, quite possibly a design limitation to avoid feedback caused by inexperienced users. I will leave that for you to judge whether that's a clever decision.

Anyway, send the Main Mix to USB with the upper button.

In Logic>Preferences>Audio>Devices, select Built In Line Output as the Output device. This will send Logic's Mix (and the backing track) to your computer's headphone jack, from where you can plug it into 2TR-IN of your mixer, then route that with the lower button to CTRL-ROOM, which in turn is connected to your speakers.

Dang I thought I had it then...

Sadly didn't work. Think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get a separate audio interface which is a shame, I was kinda hoping to cut that part out, it's crazy that you can't work both ways at the same time, I'm sure that would only be a driver away. It's not clear in the product info that it doesn't do that and they have really missed a trick with it.

Back to the drawing board, awaiting payday.

Thanks for the input though, everything is worth a shot.

When going via the tape in, it gives a very very low signal from logic, with no control over the volume. I will retry it, step by step again. I really thought it was going to work.

However, I have thought of another solution, I could route that from the headphones into the mixer using 1/4 phono adaptors and route to say 11/12 that has a volume control.

I'm just about to try to burn some fat and then ill give your original solution another go. Unless I'm missing a volume setting on the headphones out somewhere?

Yes upon reading the manual properly for the mixer it says:.

Usb/2tr to main mix, mutes the 2-tr out/USB recording.

You were bang on about the volume button (schoolboy error for me not spotting it).

I just don't understand why they would make a mixer/audio interface if it cannot be used 2 ways at the same time? Surely lots of music producers do live takes on synths whilst the stuff they already laid down plays at the same time...

I've ordered some 1/4 jack adaptors so I'm gonna go with the routing of headphone output into one of the other channels.... however I just thought of another issue doing that, surely that would feed back the back track back into the audio strip in logic.... . Damned if I do, damned if i don't.... other alternative is the audio interface and another USB port taken up. Which does kind of defeat the reason I bought the mixer/audio interface.

Yes I had kind of already come to that conclusion, as harsh it may be....

I had originally intended to get both, I was going to get the non usb version and a 2 in 2 out interface but got swayed into buying the usb one thinking and hoping it would do the job of both at the same time...

All a learning curve I guess. Roll on Monday pay day :)

Good. With that out of the way, don't get strung up on the idea that you need a mixer. You don't. You want an interface with as many inputs and as many outputs as you simultaneously need and that's it. The software mixer inside Logic is 100 times more versatile and powerful and configurable and programmable than what any hardware mixer can bring to the table.

I just don't understand why they would make a mixer/audio interface if it cannot be used 2 ways at the same time?

Classic overselling example and clever marketing.

I feel ya.

I have been duped this way with other type of products as well!

You just gotta research if the product you intend to buy has what you really need or if it's too good to be true for the price.