How can I increase performance if I'm not recording, just playing live

ms54321

Hi, I use Logic 90% of the time with two keyboard controllers just playing live, only occasional recording.

Each controller is assigned to multiple tracks/instruments which allows me to play like a live one-man band basically.

This works great for about 2 tracks/instruments per controller but any more than that I get performance issues (missed notes, neverending notes, slowdowns etc).

I have a 2021 M1 Mac (latest Monterey) with 16GB RAM + external SSD

I use various combinations of VST's - Apple, EastWest, Kontakt, etc - any of these are fine on a few tracks combined but any more than that issues.

I get similar performance limitations with Mainstage, but I prefer Logic anyway.

I can't afford any higher specced computer so I was wondering how I would go about optimizing Logic for just playing live with multiple controllers/tracks instead of recording - what settings can I change in Logic or even the Mac itself, or anything else I can do?

Thanks!

With your current Mac and 16GB of RAM, you should definitely not be getting these issues in the first place. Not with Logic, not with MainStage.

One thing you can try in Logic Pro is to open a MIDI Environment window, go to the Clicks and Ports layer, and cable each controller directly to the desired channel strip. Hold down option while you select the triangle in front of the controller name on the Physical Input object and choose the desired channel strip from the hierarchical menu that pops up.

Remember, anything in Live mode is shifted onto one core, so even if your computer has 8 cores for processing, it's effectively 8 times less powerful for realtime playing. If you trying to do a lot (multiple tracks, multiple plugins etc), you may be asking more than one core is capable of delivering.

Presumably in your quest for performance, you would have opened the performance meters in Logic to see what was going on and would have seen if this was happening.

I'm not sure if Mainstage has the same limitations in this regards, but it's by far the better tool for this kind of thing.