Input monitoring confusion - has this changed??

mikerolls

Hi all,

Now either something has changed in Logic recently as regards recording audio, or I'm going crazy. Hopefully someone can assist..

What I always used to do, or so I remember, when recording guitar for instance is.

1) Click the I (Input Monitoring) button on on the correct audio track. At this point I can hear my guitar even if not recording.

2) I can click Play and play along to my track.

3) Now when I click record, I can record some guitar, and obviously can hear what I'm recording.

4) If I then play back the track, I can still play my guitar over the top, but as soon as a section of audio is reached it plays that section instead, and I can no longer hear what I'm playing live until the end of the recorded section.

This has worked well, assuming this is actually how it worked and I haven't had some sort of brain haemorrhage.

However, I tried to record some guitar this weekend, and I couldn't get the same workflow. Either I can always hear what I'm playing, even when a recorded section is playing, even though auto input monitoring is enabled.

Also the manual states if you used Record Toggle (which I think is shift-R) then you can toggle record mode without any dropouts in audio, but that doesn't seem to work. The audio still drops out each time, and the toggle sometimes does nothing.

I'm really confused - I never had any problems with this before but now I'm banging my head against the wall, I can't work out if I'm doing something different or if Logic has changed. I've been doing lots of reading about switching on off the Input Monitoring, Auto input monitoring, allow quite punch-in and other settings, but I've never had to use these before so I'm wondering why I do now..

Any help much appreciated!!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

That was a small part of my issue, and I've just added a note to that thread as I got that bit working. But it's more about the workflow of having the input audible when playing/recording - it's something I never gave a moment's thought as it seemed to work perfectly intuitively. But now I can't get it to behave in a sensible way.

I have found that disabling auto input monitoring is about as close as I can get to what I want. But I can still hear my input when audio is played, which I am SURE didn't happen before. But I could be wrong..

I have found that disabling auto input monitoring is about as close as I can get to what I want. But I can still hear my input when audio is played, which I am SURE didn't happen before. But I could be wrong..

If you do not want to hear your audio while Logic is in Play mode then you should turn Auto Input Monitoring ON.

What I recommend is that you hide your I (Input monitoring) button and never use them again. Now set your monitoring preferences as follow:

398051628_ScreenShot2022-01-24at16_20_47.png.79963da7fd426125cb1e39b476a39bdc.png

Now try again and if something does not behave the way you want let us know what exactly.

Cheers!

Well I want to hear my input in play mode, but not if there is recorded audio playing (if that makes sense).

The thing is that's always how I used it: I'd enable the Input Monitoring button when I wanted to play along or record, and would disable it otherwise. And when playing along with the track, if there was a section of previously recorded audio then suddenly I wouldn't be able to hear my live guitar anymore, until the recorded section ended. That worked perfectly for me, I don't understand why now I have to change my workflow..

I thought maybe something had changed but it seems this is how it's always been and maybe I just hadn't noticed.

Well I want to hear my input in play mode, but not if there is recorded audio playing (if that makes sense).

Logic cannot automatically change behavior based on the presence (or the absence) of audio on the track.

The thing is that's always how I used it: I'd enable the Input Monitoring button when I wanted to play along or record, and would disable it otherwise. And when playing along with the track, if there was a section of previously recorded audio then suddenly I wouldn't be able to hear my live guitar anymore, until the recorded section ended. That worked perfectly for me, I don't understand why now I have to change my workflow..

I thought maybe something had changed but it seems this is how it's always been and maybe I just hadn't noticed.

Yes what you are describing is how Logic has always behaved. Logic cannot automatically toggle input monitoring off and on based solely on the presence of audio regions on the track.