Controller Assignments Won't Let Me Route Midi Controller to C1

heirlore
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I'm running my Alesis Strike Multipad into Logic Pro X via USB in hopes of demoing drum tracks on the road via midi.

However, I'm having issues when assigning my drum pads to the corresponding function in logic (i.e. C1 = Kick, D1 = Snare, F1 = Perc 1)

I have no issues assigning notes like E1, D#1, C#2, etc. to their corresponding function, but for some reason when I try to assign C1 to kick I receive the "controller assignments" window and it will not allow me to "learn" the note. The grey box reads "no assignment selected".

I have been able to assign the kick to something random such as F#4, but that doesn't work when I transfer over to acoustic kits that have already been assigned the formatted assignments (C1 = Kick, D1 = Snare, etc.)

The solution I'm looking for is being able to assign pad or triggers to those formatted roles in Logic; Namely C1 and D1.

Any idea why I would receive the "controller assignment" window for some notes, but not others?

Is there a work around solution within logic to reassign what note is formatted as the standard "kick" function? (i.e. changing it from C1 to F#4)

I'm just needing a sustainable solution so I can go back and forth between electronic and acoustic sounds without having to custom format for every project. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Why are you trying to "Learn" a note? I don't think you're understanding how this works. You don't "MIDI Learn' an incoming MIDI note to a different note.

You either change what note the pad controller sends when you hit a pad, or remap it in Logic if you have to, but none of this involves controllers assignments or MIDI learn.

Reassign your kick pad to send a C1, and your snare pad to send a D1, and there's nothing else you have to do. That's it*.

(Note: there is no such thing as a "standard Kick function". If you have a kick playing on a C1, it will play when you send a C1 note - don't overcomplicate it! ;) )

(* Except to delete a bunch of random controller assignments you made which may be messing things up now!)

I'm not attempting to use the "learn" function or utilize "controller assignments" at all, those are just the prompts the trigger in Logic when I change the note that my pad is sending to C1.

What I meant by "standard kick function" is that the kick in any logic kit that you pull up is always C1. Snare is always D1.

Again, my issue is that Logic isn't allowing me to send C1, as well as a few other notes, from my midi pad without prompting the "controller assignments" window.

I hope this brings clarity to the issue.

Choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces. Does that solve your issue? If yes, then choose Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments, and look for those specific note pitch assignments, select them, and delete them.

I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I am. This immediately solved the entirety of my issue.

Thanks David!

I'm not attempting to use the "learn" function or utilize "controller assignments" at all, those are just the prompts the trigger in Logic when I change the note that my pad is sending to C1.

That suggests you've previously (possibly accidentally, it's quite common) learned controller assignments to those notes, hence they aren't working.

David's method above will help you see whether this is the case and fix it.

Edit: Ok, as I was typing, you posted your response and I see that deleting those accidental assignments did fix the issue.