New M1 Mac - periodic bursts of loud white noise

MonoPoly307

Hey guys

I've recently upgraded the studio Mac to a 16" MacBook Pro with an M1 Max processor. Was biding by time until the Apple silicon Macs became available with larger quantities of RAM. I'm super happy with the machine so far, especially the quietness of its performance.

Unfortunately I'm hitting a few troubles when running Logic. From time to time, the project I'm working on will stop playing, and instead I will hear very loud bursts of what sounds like white noise, at intervals of approximately one second. This continues until I turn my interface off an on again. Looking at TotalMix (RME's mixing app that controls the UFX interface), the source of the white noise seems to be Logic, as it's coming through the DAW channels.

The interface I'm using is an RME UFX (the original version) with the latest firmware and latest drivers. RME typically make rock-solid drivers and update them frequently, so I wouldn't expect this issue to be caused by the interface necessarily... although when I run Logic through the Mac's internal interface and speakers, as a test, the problem doesn't seem to occur.

Here's a video of what's happening:

Really keen to hear if anyone else has had this problem - especially with an M1-based Mac and/or when using an RME interface.

I'm still trying to nut out whether it's the RME drivers, or Logic, or the RME hardware itself, that might be causing the issue.

Thanks in advance for any light you might be able to shed, or how you might have solved this problem if you've experienced it too.

Cheers and stay safe,

Mike

If you see the noise in Logic's mixer meters, then it's coming from Logic, not the RME.

If so, which channel is it coming from in Logic, and what plugins are you using on that channel?

If you don't see the noise on Logic's meters, and it only happens on the RME, then it's likely an RME issue.

Edited by des99

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Got the same issue with Mac Studio / RME 802.

It's insanely loud and making me scared to have my monitoring anything above whispering volume at the moment. It happens in Logic (showing on the faders) and outside logic being opened.

Not sure what the hell it is but need to get to the bottom of it.

Logic fader shows the infinity sign when it happens LOL

Screenshot2023-03-14at17_31_48.png.84f36f0dd8fa6de246e0eb7430bc07ed.png

• Wow! 1

• 8 months later...

My noise bursts are not quite as loud as +inf. Maybe +10 or +15. I seem to get them exclusively when splitting audio regions during playback followed by repositioning the cursor during playback. Happens on a variety of projects, no real common denominators plugin wise that I can observe. For me it appears to be exclusively happening if I am quickly splitting audio regions and repositioning the cursor during playback. I have not gotten them any other time. CPU usage or HD usage show no noticeable difference in activity when I hear these noises.

It also happened in 10.7.9, in 10.6.x, and on my old Mac Pro on Monterey with a different interface, for what it's worth. I was just doing a vocal editing project today and realized that was the only time I've ever heard these noises.

Edited by sunbrother

Just now, oscwilde said:

Any "demo" plug-ins installed and running (on any channel in the project)?
A number of these will randomly send out bursts of white noise until registered.

No. I'm familiar with those and the frequency at which they generally occur.

The noises that I experience occur immediately after splitting regions and repositioning the cursor during playback. It is not incredibly common but that is always the action that precedes the noise.

9 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

immediately after splitting regions and repositioning the cursor during playback.

Given that the speed of performing operations seems to be a factor ("immediately"), wondering if something like auto x-fades are being calculated....or perhaps a buffering "catch-up"?