EXS24 Problem - Key release trigger ignores sustain

Gnasher

Hi, I've bought a lovely rhodes sample that was not exs compatible so I've put it together myself.

However, the release samples play as soon as it receives the note-off message , even when the sustain pedal is depressed.

Is there a way to trigger the release samples once the sustain pedal is released?

As it is just now, if I play a chord or note with the sustain pedal down, the release samples are triggered while the original 'note-on' sample is still sustaining..

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
However, the release samples play as soon as it receives the note-off message , even when the sustain pedal is depressed.

This is normal operation for EXS-24. It may be possible to circumvent this behavior, but before I make any suggestions, please clarify one thing...

if I play a chord or note with the sustain pedal down, the release samples are triggered while the original 'note-on' sample is still sustaining..

This is confusing to me in light of your previous sentence. So please clarify -- which is the case?

a)you're holding down notes and the sustain pedal and at some point after the samples sound their natural decay the release samples are heard

b) you're holding down notes and sustain pedal, and when you release the notes with sus. pedal still being held, the release samples trigger (what you said in the first part of your post)

Add'l questions, just to make sure...

• are the 'normal' (non-release) samples looped?

• do the zones for the normal samples have one-shot enabled?

• are the normal samples and release samples assigned to separate groups?

Hi - thanks for the reply!

It is (b) in your question.

To answer your other questions, yes the samples are looped, its a rhodes sample with short looping at the end of the 'tail'.

One shot is not enabled;

And yes they are in separate groups.

What do you think? Basically it results in an unnatural sounding rhodes , as the damper noises should only sound when you release either the key or release your foot from the sustain pedal.

Thanks again!

That's weird, I didn't get replies from this thread...

OK, thanks for getting back to me/us, Gnasher.

What you're going to need is a special environment that will take care of this problem. I've already built something which I think can be modified to take care of this shortcoming of the EXS. If you can be a little more patient (you've waited 2 years -- OMG!) then I'll post something for you in a few days.

Best,

sKi

Yup, I tried that, doesn't work. :(

What needs to happen (best I can tell) is to use the environment to store all note offs that occur while the sustain pedal is depressed. When the sus pedal is released those note offs need to be read and transmitted to the EXS, at which time they'll trigger the release samples.

Are you sure you want all those release samples to suddenly play simultaneously when you release the sustain pedal?

Good question, one that might even offer food for thought towards changing the definition of what a harpsichord sounds like.... :lol:

On a more serious note, the release samples can be set to play at a very low, subtle volume.

Yes that would be the natural behaviour of a rhodes or wurlitzer piano. The way it is just now is totally unnatural as there are no "release" noises on these ( or any ) piano when the damper pedal is down. As it is you are getting release noise when it has not yet been "released" because that does not happen until the pedal is lifted. Does that make sense? It just doesn't mimic the behaviour of these instruments at all and to me that is the whole point of release samples.

Thanks again for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I have finally worked out how to do this in case anyone is interested.

In the EXS24 editor, go to groups, select view all, and under "select group by" set the release samples to "control" and enter the value 64.

You mean something like this: :wink:

What if you changed the release sample group to : Select Group By->cc64->0-63

I'm glad to hear the solution was that simple, especially because the environment thing I was working on was very complicated (and remains unfinished, as I'm in the middle of a huge project...) I didn't think to try values of less than 127 for sustain pedal. Go figure!

Yes it seems I got confused somewhere along the line of this thread- thanks guys and fader8 you had the answer but somehow I missed it! It does mean the release samples don't sound on the release of the pedal but that works fine sonically, miles better than how it was. Sorry to give you work ski! Thanks again.

• 11 years later...
Dudeeee! I just downloaded a bunch of Pianobook instruments for the logic sampler and I had a really similar issue. I messed around with the sampler for a bit and went into the details option in the top right corner of the synth rack. I increased the polyphony figure to 99 which I suppose is the maximum value and that pretty much did it for me.