Sine Wave - Fat Kick Trigger Video tutorial

Eric Wikman

• 4 weeks later...
I actually did this on a rock track where I had a really thin, but crack-y kick drum, although I did it a bit more simply, by just sticking a noise gate right on the sine wave track and sidechaining it to the kick track. Worked great.

Yeah Eric, why all the printing of sine audio files? Why not just gate the Test Osc itself?

I actually did this on a rock track where I had a really thin, but crack-y kick drum, although I did it a bit more simply, by just sticking a noise gate right on the sine wave track and sidechaining it to the kick track. Worked great.

Yeah Eric, why all the printing of sine audio files? Why not just gate the Test Osc itself?

It just seemed to be easier in the long run to have a folder with the audio files of each key sine wave.

Really, I don't have to look up the freq on that chart each time and set the Test Osc then.

Sometimes I feel audio tracks are easier to deal with too.

Maybe not. :)

It just seemed to be easier in the long run to have a folder with the audio files of each key sine wave.

Really, I don't have to look up the freq on that chart each time and set the Test Osc then.

I see, thanks for your answer. Makes total sense now. What seems to be convoluted technically can actually make your life easier, depending on the workflow. So your audio files are named "C1", "C#1" and so on right? I thought they were named "55Hz" and "63Hz"... which would defeat the purpose.

I see, thanks for your answer. Makes total sense now. What seems to be convoluted technically can actually make your life easier, depending on the workflow. So your audio files are named "C1", "C#1" and so on right? I thought they were named "55Hz" and "63Hz"... which would defeat the purpose.

I named them with both the freq & note name.

Thanks David.

Eric

PS.. I will zip my folder and upload to my site for anyone who just wanted to download them.

They are about 16 bars each, so not that large of files (these days).

Nice tutorial...

Thanks

I am the only one hearing a tremendously annoying 6.2k squeal?

-D

Yea, I used Snapz for the tutorial and for some reason, I had that high freq pitch in there on some, after It bounced.

No ground problems here, and I haven't had it on some recent ones.

Sorry 'bout that.

I thought maybe it was the codec I choose.

Wouldnt it be nice to have the TestOsc be a midi instrument so that if you wanted to change keys, you wouldnt need to have a different test osc with a difference frequency? or...

can one automate the test osc frequency? so that if you have a key change you can keep one testosc track and not have two, (or more depending on the amount of keychanges...)

Wouldnt it be nice to have the TestOsc be a midi instrument so that if you wanted to change keys, you wouldnt need to have a different test osc with a difference frequency? or...

can one automate the test osc frequency? so that if you have a key change you can keep one testosc track and not have two, (or more depending on the amount of keychanges...)

it IS an instrument!

Put it on an instrument track and play it via MIDI

You could just play the MIDI region with the EXS24 with no instrument loaded. It will play a sine wave at the proper pitch for the note

I totally concur - a much easier/neater way to achieve the same thing - plus, the EXS route gives you extra flexibility of being able to adjust the envelope of the sine wave, in case, for example, you want a slow decay on the boom..

• 2 weeks later...

I put up a quick EXS drag n drop tutorial... on my .Mac account page.

I made it for some friends who used to use Halion.

I still use Halion 3 due to it being much easier to edit sample starts, without opening a sample editor each time for each sample. Makes for much faster work, when using a few hundred raw drum bits with ruff start points.

Not everyone uses raw samples from records though. They do give your underground tracks some dirt.

Also a couple basic Recycle tutorials also, from a while back.