Multiple tracks controlling one instrument, How?

darkecho

You can have multiple tracks routed to the same channel strip/instrument even for instruments that don't have multiple outs. You can still mute and solo the tracks individually, however all the tracks will use the same effects and output level settings, pan, etc.

ultimately I wanted to be able to have three tracks

Ivory Intro

Ivory

Ivory Outro

Ivory and Ivory Outry would be the same exact instrument but because they are both playing at the same time during the outro, I need the second track to provide a spot for the Ivory Outro segments.

Ivory Intro would be the same as the other two as well, but I have a filter on it that I don't want to be on the other two ever. This is where I ran into problems...

Every time I put an effect on one, it goes on all three. So I currently have two instances of ivory, the one for the intro with its effects, and another one that is controlled by Ivory and Ivory Outro.

Is there a way to condense this down to one instance of ivory but having one of the three channels with an insert?

Is there a way to condense this down to one instance of ivory but having one of the three channels with an insert?

Nope.

In order to have different effects at the same time, the audio needs to be coming from different sources. If the plug-in doesn't have multiple outs, you need two copies of the plug-in running, each on its own channel.

If you're running out of memory, you can freeze or bounce the tracks. You can also tweak Ivory by reducing polyphony, eliminating unused samples (e.g. soft pedal samples), etc.

I am not running out of memory I don't think.. I have 4 gbs so I should be good right? I am not using that many instruments I have about 20 tracks 15 of which are virtual instruments (battery and some of the logic instruments)

anyways, would it be possible to use one instance of ivory, but have one of the three ivory tracks sent to a grouptrack/fx track and throw the effects on that track?

if not thats ok. I am just eco minded and having two instances threw a flag up as being uneccessary. Thanks for your help!

oh yeah, how do you freeze a track?

anyways, would it be possible to use one instance of ivory, but have one of the three ivory tracks sent to a grouptrack/fx track and throw the effects on that track?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you've got 3 tracks of MIDI controlling only one instance of Ivory, and you want effects applied to Ivory's output only some of the time. If that's right, you could set up an aux bus with the effects you want and put a pre-fader send to it on your Ivory channel strip. Then, you can use automation to control the balance of dry/wet using a combination of the Ivory channel's fader and the send knob.

I thought the goal was to place effects on some notes but not others coming out of a single instrument at the same time. That's not possible. You need two different audio streams for that, hence two different copies of the plug-in running.

To turn an effect on and off over time, the easiest thing to do is to automate the bypass.

I want to have three inst. tracks controlling the same instance of ivory but with individual sets of effects for their individual tracks

for example:

track 1 Ivory intro:

inserts: autofilter.delay

track 2 Ivory main:

inserts: space designer, EQ

track 3 Ivory outro:

inserts: space designer, EQ, chorus, bit crusher

is there any way to do this with each of those tracks using the same one instance of ivory?

I want to have three inst. tracks controlling the same instance of ivory but with individual sets of effects for their individual tracks

for example:

track 1 Ivory intro:

inserts: autofilter.delay

track 2 Ivory main:

inserts: space designer, EQ

track 3 Ivory outro:

inserts: space designer, EQ, chorus, bit crusher

is there any way to do this with each of those tracks using the same one instance of ivory?

If any two or more of those tracks are triggering notes from Ivory at the same time then no, you can't do it with one instance of Ivory.

If the three tracks don't have any overlapping notes then you can automate the effect sends as uncleozzy stated.

You need to get your head around the concept of the difference between the plugin (Ivory) and the midi tracks. Effects like Space Designer, etc, are audio effects, and only apply to the audio output of Ivory. If you need two piano notes coming out of Ivory at the same time with different effects on them, then you need two different instances of Ivory running.

Ok, so when I have all three tracks controlling one instance, its just like having one track with ivory and the three tracks worth of midi in a single region/track

having multiple tracks controlling one instance of an instrument is to be used for keeping midi regions organized, correct?

what other advantages does this offer?

You can solo, loop, quantize, and mute the different midi tracks separately, which can be convenient.

It also makes it easier to redirect one of them to another instrument/channel if you decide later that you want to have one of them using a different sound source (or effect). For example, you might use a multitimbral instrument for a drum kit and then decide later to send the snare over to a different plug-in.