How do I change the key of the whole song?

Jadendo

Does it do this in score editor? Transpose the score that is?

Oh yes. The score editor (esp functions like this) was what made me do my first silly, uncontrollable giggling to myself because I couldn't believe what I was seeing with Logic. Of course, after all this time, I'm still stunned that technology today is so advanced that I can just play a piano part and watch the notes show up on the screen as I go.

Maybe I'm just an easy date... :wink:

Edited by Spectacle

it's not as much of a CPU hog as you'd think..The program actually creates a NEW audio file, and that's what you manipulate.

as far as the original poster goes..I guess it all would depend on how many tracks he's dealing with as to the best way to transpose everything.

I think it would would perfectly well on a complex acoustic guitar track. Remember tho, you need the full Studio version for polyphonic work.

Who said I am not checking this log? I logged in this forum every single day to read all of your sweet posts. Forgive me because I am a newbie at Logic. I have just gotten it for about 2 months now. I have been using Ableton Live for about 2 years.

IMO Logic is much more complicated than Live, but the sound quality is soooo good....

Thanks again for helping me out.

Peace

Remember tho, you need the full Studio version for polyphonic work.

Right, I just saw that. So it's:

$299 for the "plug-in" version (as many instances as you want, but each one only shifts monophonic material).

$699 for the "studio" version (unlimited tracks/instances, but also works on polyphonic material: piano, rhythm guitar, etc.)

Hmmm...choices. :?

Spec...I end up using the Plug in MOST of the time. I play with the Studio version if I want to do some orchestrating, etc..

last year at the NAMM show..the guy took some drums, a guitar, and a sax part, all at different tempos, ptiches, etc..and made a whole damn song out of it! Tooo cool. Took the bass part and made the tom-toms play the same pitch an octave up, doubling the rhythm of the bass.

It's just an amazingly deep program. I wish they'd do a lot more video tutorials tho. I might mention it to them at the show next week.

Jumping back to the musical psychology of transposing - if you've ever taken a tune through keys, meaning transposing up and down, it's very interesting. If you do it by transposing up and down 1/2 steps, that gives you one musical impression of each key, whereas if you do it in the circle of 5ths, then it really is quite different.

Now in this case, I'm talking about playing it, not using an electronic system to transpose, and using real instruments. Because they do sound different in different keys, as does each song.

Anyone on the forum who plays a musical instrument, this is a very good exercise to become a better player, develop your ears. I'm talking about on the spot transposing, i.e. "let's play it in A, now let's try F, now Db...."

Back to the original question - I'd challenge that singer to do it in the original key as a 1/2 step isn't much. Melodyne and all that is cool, but really, a singer needs to learn to sing. Technology shouldn't be the crutch.

J

Jumping back to the musical psychology of transposing - if you've ever taken a tune through keys, meaning transposing up and down, it's very interesting. If you do it by transposing up and down 1/2 steps, that gives you one musical impression of each key, whereas if you do it in the circle of 5ths, then it really is quite different.

Now in this case, I'm talking about playing it, not using an electronic system to transpose, and using real instruments. Because they do sound different in different keys, as does each song.

Anyone on the forum who plays a musical instrument, this is a very good exercise to become a better player, develop your ears. I'm talking about on the spot transposing, i.e. "let's play it in A, now let's try F, now Db...."

Back to the original question - I'd challenge that singer to do it in the original key as a 1/2 step isn't much. Melodyne and all that is cool, but really, a singer needs to learn to sing. Technology shouldn't be the crutch.

J

Some of what you are saying I agree with. Except, if you are accompanying a singer and if the singer wants it played in a different key, even if it is only a half step down, it is the accompanists responsibilty to do be able to do this, imo.

If it means a better take and is easier on the singer, by all means do it!

I think why you hear such a difference when transposing around the Circle of Fifths is that each key is farther apart than what was just played. If you go up by half steps (transposing chromatically) it will sound (obviously) closer to what you just played.

To me there is no big difference except that you are in a different key whether taking it around the Circle of Fifths or transposing a half step up or down.

And yes, you should know how to transpose in any key if you are a well rounded musician.

As far as it changing the mood or color of the song, i would doubt a half step up or down would really make that much of a difference. Unless you are really wanting that singer to sing that high A or Bb but she can only make it to Ab, then perhaps... :wink:

The diff is (in this context) that changing the key in the score or key list won't transpose it.

Similarly,transposing won't necessarily change the key sig.

To get something to a different key you need to transpose it,but with some things you could write them in a different key without changing them.

Modal stuff for instance,and some ambiguous maj/min blues tunes spring to mind.

Transposing in Logic is physically moving the notes,key is a cosmetic appearance.

Except for Apple loops of course.

I'm confused now...

:shock:

Transpose and change key do mean the same thing. It's just the "key" in Logic is a device that is a visual construct only... Doesn't really come into play until you use the score or apple loops. Actually, you can write music without a key signature, and it can be in a given key - by the use of a lot of accidentals, but your band will probably kill you..... :D

Oh, Honeybee, I respectfully disagree. I'm a sight-transposing accompanist, and in learning how to do this I've done a lot of transposing. Up and down steps transposing as opposed to big jumps (circle of fifths) changes the perception and "feel" a lot. But music is very subjective, so maybe this wasn't the case for you.

Peace,

J

Transpose and change key do mean the same thing.

J

Not alaways.

You can transpose something within the same key,you can transpose atonal passages and they'll still be in the same key,since there isn't one.

Also,transposing parts for horns in Bb and Eb,for example,is a necessity,but everyone is still in the same key.

(If you haven't screwed up).

Transpose and change key do mean the same thing.

J

Not alaways.

You can transpose something within the same key,you can transpose atonal passages and they'll still be in the same key,since there isn't one.

Also,transposing parts for horns in Bb and Eb,for example,is a necessity,but everyone is still in the same key.

(If you haven't screwed up).

say what?

atonal has no key or root so therefore cannot be transposed so it

doesn't apply to the conversation.you can change it's sequencial

starting point on any given instrument, but, by definition, there is no

key to transpose from-or to. ALLEGEDLY. i personally think that

atonal is the most ignorant theory since " the world is flat" offering.

horns are fixed pitched instruments, so you aren't really tranposing the

music you are just rescaling the instrument.

imho

Remember tho, you need the full Studio version for polyphonic work.

Right, I just saw that. So it's:

$299 for the "plug-in" version (as many instances as you want, but each one only shifts monophonic material).

$699 for the "studio" version (unlimited tracks/instances, but also works on polyphonic material: piano, rhythm guitar, etc.)

Hmmm...choices. :?

no choice at all, the most important piece of my

studio.melodyne is a magic wand. vocals,harmonies,

polyphonic-absolutely amazing on guitar chords.

best 700 dollars i ever spent,and when you buy the

standalone studio version they give you the plugin for free

the absolute solution to this thread topic

it can push her up to a G or pull the music

down to F#

For some people at least, different keys are distinguishable. Each key has a flavor to it. This 'flavor' comes in part, I think, from the historical context of the key, from all of the songs that are written in that key instead of others. It's a bit like how different words gain shades of meaning based on how they're used (and not used) over time. Azure is different than blue, even though they both mean the same thing. It's subtle, but it's a significant difference when you're talking about the aesthetics of something like a piece of music.

Now, if you're doing a happy hardcore cover of My Funny Valentine, and it's not in C minor, then your average jump dancing teenager (

) is probably not going to notice or care that it's in the wrong key. But in a different setting (and tempo) a jazz musician who's familiar with the standards may very well notice. To someone who can hear the difference, a song played in the wrong key is like a blue fire truck or a red taxi.

atonal has no key or root so therefore cannot be transposed so it

doesn't apply to the conversation.you can change it's sequencial

starting point on any given instrument, but, by definition, there is no

key to transpose from-or to. ALLEGEDLY. i personally think that

atonal is the most ignorant theory since " the world is flat" offering.

horns are fixed pitched instruments, so you aren't really tranposing the

music you are just rescaling the instrument.

imho

I already pointed to the lack of tonality of atonal music.

You could play a whole tone theme and then transpose it up a semitone.The two versions would contain mutually exclusive notes.

Clearly it has been transposed.

Transposition is relative;key is (more or less) absolute.

Up a fifth relative to what?

The home note is 440Hz, you're in A.

Amaj to Aminor is a key change with no transpositon.

Horns are (often) transposing instruments.

Transposition is not the same as key change.

Bach used to have to transpose all the parts of his weekly tunes so that they could be played and sung in 2 different churches whose organs were a minor 6th apart.

The performances were thus both in the same key,transposed to compensate.

I think that the opinion that atonal music is ignorant beggars belief.

In MY opinion.

• 13 years later...

For midi tracks, you'd have to go one by one and, in the inspector window, transpose -1 to lower one semitone (do the math accordingly).

For audio, you can enable flex mode and essentially do the same thing.

It's time consuming but worth it; I'd save it as an alternative or another project altogether just in case.

Hope this helps!

Also, to everyone knocking down singers...Guitarists choose their guitar's shape, features, stuff you can mod out, etc. Any other instrumentalist has that same luxury. Singers don't - they have to work with what they have. So stop being dicks about it.

So stop being dicks about it.

Calling people names on a 13-year old post? Hope you feel better.

Hey George, I didn't mean it to be a "name calling" session and I'm sorry you read it that way. Although I did see the post was old, I've only been a pro session player for the last few years and have seen that this narrative is perpetuated constantly. No matter the age of this post, if I came across it just this week, I'm sure many others have, and I merely wanted to pontificate that not only is the narrative detrimental to singers, but it is also from a place of severe misunderstanding and hurts the music community as a whole. It was sad to see that the industry hasn't evolved much in this matter in the last decade and that's why I responded in the way that I did to a considerably old post. Sorry you read past what I was saying and only got that quote from it.