Ultrabeat setting botched when re-loaded

illiac

Hi,

I've created a drum kit based on the Analog Techno Kit -- I've modified some of the voices, added sequences etc. I then save this using the Save Setting As ... dialog, as I have always done with my drum kit settings. When I restore the setting, all the samples in the drum kit have changed! They are replaced by samples from the African drum kit. Yow. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

(LS 8.0.1, OS X 10.4.11)

Thanks,

-Luddy Harrison (iliac)

Thanks.

Here's some more information about the problem: after restarting Logic and going through the same steps in a new session, I get a slightly different behavior: when I try to reload the Ultrabeat drum kit I've created, Logic says that it is unable to find such-and-such a sample, and asks to me the file (in a finder / dialog). The sample it cannot locate, however, is not used in the drum kit I created. If I cancel this dialog, without pointing Logic at each sample file that it cannot find, then the drum kit that is loaded has a bunch of missing samples (these show up as "no sample loaded" in the voice).

I pulled up one of the .pst files in a binary editor and I noticed that it does indeed contain references to samples that are not used in the drum kit. These references are near the end of the .pst file. I wonder why that is ...

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

-Luddy Harrison

I experienced something like this yesterday. I'd had an instance of Ultrabeat in my session with a few alternate voices loaded into the Indie Live Kit preset. The project was set to copy Ultrabeat instruments to the project folder. The next time I opened the project, it just didn't load the samples for the voices I'd modified. The names remained, the settings remained, but the samples weren't loaded. Saving or not saving the preset didn't seem to have any impact.

The voices I'd modified were all imported from an EXS instrument, and so were multi-layer, so it's a bit of a pain to fix this without re-importing the voices, which is a pain in itself. Not cool.

Thanks for the responses! I was beginning to think that no one else had experienced such a thing.

uncleozzy, that's interesting. I have done a few experiments to see whether the setting of the "Copy Ultrabeat samples to project folder" option affects this, but it doesn't seem to. It's hard to say definitively. Certainly I have seen the behavior when this option is on, but I think I have also seen it with this option off. I first noticed it in connection with presets that I had created, but I have also seen it when merely re-opening a project, as you have.

This killed my use of Ultrabeat altogether. I am in the middle of a production crunch and I can't possibly rely on it with such a severe bug lurking for which I have no workaround... sigh.

toonscribe, I never ran into this in Logic 7, but then again I've used Ultrabeat much more heavily since Logic 8.

-Luddy

Yep i can empathise with all of you on this subject. Just imported a bunch of my own samples, tweaked them to a nice deep techno break and then lost the whole thing when I 'saved as' the kit and tried to import it to a fresh song.

Thing is I have other kits created in L7 which are behaving fine, recalling sounds and settings as they should; This is the first time I've tried this in L8.

I have to say whilst I am keen to develop my music creation skills, 2 years down the line I am wondering whether I made the right choice as I always have to overcome some audio management issue or another before getting on with the business of song writing. I have an on-again off-again relationship with logic as I approach the machine full of ideas and an hour later I'm wondering where they've all gone!

I'm gonna keep at it, after all I've paid for the upgrade but ableton's cries are getting a wee bit louder

Jamie

Same here. I'm a songwriter and I do the bulk of my recording on a dedicated Roland VS2480 24 track digital recorder. It is nowhere near as powerful or deep as Logic, but it is reliable and bug-free, totally intuitive and when I sit down to use it I spend my time and focus on making music.

With Logic, I seem to spend the large bulk of my time configuring things and/or troubleshooting and some of the remainder of my time experimenting with things that are fun to play around with -- but, really, are too esoteric to make much of a difference in the final product. It's fun and I like the challenge -- BUT...it's often not about making music or recording my songs which is why I launch Logic in the first place. Definitely a love-hate relationship for me. Whereas my 2480 is pure love!

For a long time, one of the major drawbacks of music technology for me has been that it constantly interrupts creativity.

Eventually I decided that I needed to think of music software like playing an instrument. Practice, practice to get the technique stuff automated so that it doesn't get in the way of artistry. But bugs and (often unnecessary) complexity can still get in the way.

One approach is to divide and conquer -- use a subset of features that "just work" at performance or composition time, pushing off sound-tuning and fancy but "iffy" features for edit/mix time. That might even mean recording in simpler software with less gotchas, then importing. The recorded sounds might not be ideal, but sometimes can be replaced once the performance or composition is in place.

I hate getting hung up and discouraged by technical and software problems, so I do whatever I can to avoid them until I'm ready to deal.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been struggling with the same problem--a total drag ! The only suceess I've had in modifying and saving UB kits was to load the" drag and drop kit" and then find and load (drop into the sample window of osc 2) the samples I want from other kits. I haven't tried importing into this kit, but that might work.

Good luck , You are not alone !

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, this started happening to me about 3 days ago, out of nowhere! I was going to make a new post, then I found this one.

The kit is not even tweaked... its a preset. And when I reopen the session, the same kit and sound names show, but they don't sound right (not even sure which preset comes up, but it's definitely not the African kit in my case)

why??? and why now??? It was fine all along. The only change I can think of is the apple updates I downloaded last week (10.5.2, pro kit, and a logic update)

Could this be related in any way?

A minor clue...

I just realized that the problem is session specific. It only started with a template I saved and created 3 different sessions from, all 3 botched upon opening every single time. In any other session ultrabeat is still fine. But still, it would be good to know what caused this... my guess is it's save related.

David ??