gatey chords

vm1971

i KNOW this has a sticky on this forum...[side chaining] and i totally understand the concept, but...

had some trouble and gave up with achieving that chopped-up chord sound found in so many old skool dance remixes. such a pleasant sound - hear it in the "big mix" of "i dont want your love" by DD [on the cheese organ] ... in some skinny puppy tracks, etc.

i want to send a signal, more or less a gate - to a sustained string or pad sound, so that while i lay my hands down on the chords and play, the signal is opening and closing the gate with a hard attack and short release - very stuttery and choppy.

i did this in REASON but... im not jiving in Logic. am i stupid?

any ideas? any OTHER plug in that can do this easier? i believe the video on the CamelSpace plug in shows a bit right towards the beginning that has this sound...

HMM.

VINCE, again.

:?

Why don't you just use Logic's Tremolo plugin. Very easy.

It's under Modulation. Just remember to set the Smoothing parameter close to 0%.

If you insert it into stereo track you can get mono tremolo by opening the plugin while holding down option.

i want to send a signal, more or less a gate - to a sustained string or pad sound, so that while i lay my hands down on the chords and play, the signal is opening and closing the gate with a hard attack and short release - very stuttery and choppy.

Not much stuttering if you're trying to open and close the gate with sustained pad sound. You need to send something like a drum loop to a gate side chain if you want to get stuttering effect or use the tremolo plugin.

I also strongly recommend you to explore the ES2, EXS24, Ultrabeat and Sculpture as they all have built-in side chain function.

Example:

1. Load an Apple (drum) loop to an audio track and set the track volume to zero.

2. Load a pad sound to ES2 and set the Side Chain from the ES2 UI (top right corner) to match the Apple loop audio track.

3. From the ES2 Router set the Source to SideCh and Target to Amp and drag the green slider all the way up.

4. Press play and enjoy.

i

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for--maybe it's what you've already tried--but I actually just needed to do this last night. First, I created a track with a basic synth (anything with a very fast attack and release works) and routed it to a bus. Then I inserted a Noise Gate (fastest attack and release, no hold) as the last plug on the pad's channel strip and selected the synth's bus as the sidechain. And there you go--playing through the synth track opens the gate for the pad (don't forget to kill the bus's output).

There's probably an easier way to do it, but I find this pretty organic, in that you can tap out your gate pattern on the keyboard.

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for--maybe it's what you've already tried--but I actually just needed to do this last night. First, I created a track with a basic synth (anything with a very fast attack and release works) and routed it to a bus. Then I inserted a Noise Gate (fastest attack and release, no hold) as the last plug on the pad's channel strip and selected the synth's bus as the sidechain. And there you go--playing through the synth track opens the gate for the pad (don't forget to kill the bus's output).

There's probably an easier way to do it, but I find this pretty organic, in that you can tap out your gate pattern on the keyboard.

You don't need to send signal to bus since LP8 can now use tracks directly for side chaining (as in my example above).

i

You don't need to send signal to bus since LP8 can now use tracks directly for side chaining (as in my example above).

But, but ... I like having 50 buses in a session! :lol: Kidding... thanks for the tip.

THANKS to ALL of you!!! :D :D :D

cant wait to chop away at it later!!!!!!!!

thanks agian, buds.

V

FULLLLLLLLLY what i had in mind and better than i expected...my ears are creaming!

thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!

:lol: