Should it take 10 minutes to bounce a 5 minute track?

darkecho

If your computer is able to play the song back in realtime, the bounce process (with offline bouncing activated) should be finished in less than the song length. Depending of the selected output file formats (like MP3 or AAC) and dithering additional conversion and dithering processes must be performed and take their additional time.

I've noticed, actually, that when I bounce (on my 1st-gen Intel iMac), only one of the CPU meters pegs. The other stays at zero. Take a look at your CPU graphs--you might notice that Logic isn't using all your processing power when doing an offline bounce. In a mix where you're heavily taxing more than one processor, it'll take much longer to bounce.

My computer can play it back fine with very few issues..

Can someone point me to where I need to go to adjust the performance of logic? like, buffer size and what not...

I use the Duet btw.

Also, I have about 20 tracks, 4 are audio, the rest are instruments and lots of effects going on... maybe thats why.

does an effect take up processing power even when bypassed? if you dont use an effect, is it better to delete it than to bypass it or does it not matter?

Good thought, that has happened to me before but that's not the case now..

I am usually exporting AAC at 320...

I changed it to MP3 because I can export tag data which makes uploading the song to my iphone easy (dont have to find the artistless song and give it an artist each time)

it goes a bit faster now with Mp3

Could it be that the song length is set too long? It might be "bouncing" an extra 5 blank minutes.

Yeah, create a cycle the length of what you want bounced before you bounce.

You're probably processing a bunch of silence.

To think of how much I bitch about real-time exports in PT, that would drive me crazy!