drum editing (same theme edit)

Ploki

yeah i have, hyper editor is a nice touch, it helps you control the CCs and velocity, you actually see al note properties.

but i'm looking for easier drum editing than Piano roll.

if you load drum map into Cubase it makes a new map and throws out uneeded notes, and makes tine squares instead of piano notes

you can do the same in piano roll, but its way simpler in drum editor :S

Hi Ploki

-

Moving from Cubase can be traumatic !

I know. I moved three years ago and, for the first

few weeks, I really missed the Cubase drum map.

Every hit named down the left side - note assignment

done on the fly in the window. I was desperate at first.

Like an addict in rehab !

-

But, in the Matrix Edit (Piano Roll), you get used to it.

Setting the snap to "Ticks" helps a lot.

The Hyper Edit is great for getting rolls and flams right.

Logic is SO much better in so many other respects that

it's worth persevering.

-

C

Hyper Editor is probably the answer, here. Have you actually looked at using it for drum editing? It's not just for advanced parameters--it can be completely customized. It'll give you the matrix editing you're looking for without fiddling with the piano roll.

Create a new region in your drum track and open up a new Hyper Editor window. Click the Hyper Set name field in the Inspector (it probably says "MIDI Controls") and pick "GM Drum Kit" (assuming you're using a kit that maps to GM). You should be left with a grid on which you can edit drums by, basically, clicking boxes; the height of the bar is the velocity of the event.

If you've got more complex needs (I use Addictive Drums, for example, which doesn't map to GM), you'll want to create a new Hyper Set and insert all the notes you'll need (Hyper->Create Event Definition). But it's pretty simple, and once you've got it set up, really useful. I've got a screenset with a Hyper Editor window that I use for all my drum editing. Snap a cycle around the region you're working on, and it basically becomes a great step sequencer. Very quick for sequencing drum patterns.

and it basically becomes a great step sequencer. Very quick for sequencing drum patterns.

hey ozzy, could you please snap a screenshot of your hyper edit screenset? I have been searching for the best way to input/edit midi info for drums.... this sounds like it is a great system, but I'm a little bit confused as to what you're talking about. :lol:

any further explanation would be greatly appreciated!

hey ozzy, could you please snap a screenshot of your hyper edit screenset? I have been searching for the best way to input/edit midi info for drums.... this sounds like it is a great system, but I'm a little bit confused as to what you're talking about. :lol:

Sure, I'll try to remember to post a screenshot later this evening, if someone doesn't do it before then. It's pretty simple, though, and actually fairly well-documented (Chapter 17 in the manual). There are threads on here about it, too, although now that I'm looking for them, I can't find them. You might want to Google "logic hyperset drums" in the meantime; I know originally found the method for doing this in a tutorial someplace on the web.

THAT IS SO AWSOME :D

its like drum editor! BUT ITS BETTER!! Its more convenient! it has velocity on the fly.

s#!+ its great!

thanks for this i really needed something like this, and this is good enough (or in some way better)

i use dfh S, and its really pain in the ass to just play it cause it has so many hits for jsut one drum. but this, this is just great :)

i have to create a set for dfh s! infact im already doing it!

thank you so much for this, i wouldnt have figure it out on my own.

i should have searched it before but its really hard if you dont know what exactly to search for!

Hey, whats that line next to the Hihats? it seems like it links something.. i couldnt find it in the manual.

i'm creating one hyperset for complex full dfhs operation and one for basic grooves (kick R, snr L, one hat etc) that i can screw around later in the complex one :) great

edit1:

i just tested everything, works like a charm. quickly adding rapid notes is easy, you just draw them acording to the grid you set.

its convenient you can set different grid on each hit!

selecting events is simple (shift F, or Shift Alt F), and when you have them selected, shift dragging them makes them move.

changing multiple velocities is easy too, you just select and draw it on multiple notes on the same time!

and below hihat hits ive added CC4 velocity control so i can draw how much "open" is it. its great for crescendos on hihats... makes them more natural :) this is great all the way...

i REALLY appreciate this tip, its really a convenient way to work with drum tracks, OR edit prerecorded ones. its great, thanks once again :)

edit2: Apple should REALLY implement "hyperset import/export" functions into the next revision :)

Edited by Ploki