Record MPC Performance to Separate Tracks

Orions Quest

Hi All,

Good Karma your way if you can solve this for me :wink:

Okay here is what I'm trying to do. I grew up 15 or so years ago using Cubase (on the Atari). I'm also a Video Editor (as a profession). So I am used to creating music and editing video with the bars that go across the screen. Exactly what Logic and Cubase do right?

So in November I decide I want to tackle the MPC 1000. I like it for making beats but the whole sequencing thing is annoying, and I'm so used to making music with the bars across the screen, ie: Cubase and Logic.

So I figure, if I can record the MPC 1000 performance instrument by instrument. track by track in Logic, than I can edit the performance like I used to do before I bought the MPC 1000. Here is what I would like it to look like in Logic.

Track 1 - MPC KICK

Track 2 - MPC Snare

Track 3 - MPC Hi Hat

Track 4 - MPC Sample

Track 5 - Logic Synth Sound

Track 6 - Logic (some other sound)

Track 7 - Vocals

Track 8 - Background vocals.

So there it is. I want to make sure Tracks 1,2,3,4 are recorded as MIDI events that I can edit in the Piano Roll etc, not as an Audio file. The other Tracks would be generated by Logic.

Does that make sense? I know there are people out there doing this, and I'm hoping they will check out this post and help.

OQ :wink:

I sold my MPC about 2 months ago after years of fun.

What I use to do is dump each track via midi one at a time and then bounce it in as audio.

Now I substituted the MPC with EXS and UltraBeat within Logic.

The MPC (to the best of my fading mpc knowledge) doesn't let you route incoming MIDI to separate MIDI channels within the MPC.

Have you checked out the JJ OS for the MPC?

It has a really nice piano roll style grid editor so you can do that right on the MPC before recording it into Logic.

The only issue with that is that the MPC won't distinguish the different incoming MIDI channels coming from Logic. It'll trigger whichever instrument is active.

OHHH!! that's riiiiight, try this, After making the sequence in the MPC. drop the SMF files in logic....then drop the samples in either ultrbeat or the ESX, and have the midi tracks trigger the audio from which ever. So you would put the midi file of the kick on track one, then open up the ultra beat and drop the kick sample in to slot 1 and assign it to the same midi channel as track midi 1 and so on for each of the other midi files and samples. Can I ask why you want to move the midi from the MPC into logic? Are these tracks you'v already created in the MPC? Or do you want the feel of the MPC's sequncer? If you want the feel, you can down load MPC3000 quantize templates from LogicCafe.com and compose in logic using the MPC3000's quantize settings along with Logic's. SFlogicNinja has vids on youtube on how to use the templates.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response. I'll give those a try.

The reason I want to do this is because I like the feel and swing of the beats in the MPC, but I want to be able to edit each individual sound, like I can do in any DAW.

So if on track 4 on Logic, I have a snare riff from my MPC, I'd like to be able to go into that track and add effects to the snare, or stagger its placement to give it swing etc.

Maybe most people don't work this way, but it just makes sense to me I guess coming from my background.

I guess what I am trying to say, is I'd like to have access to all the sounds on my MPC, and use my MPC to perform those sounds, but record it into logic, not the MPC. And when its recorded into logic, its recorded as MIDI, so I can go into PIano roll and move the bits around in the grid and add effects. If I could do that for every track that would be awesome..

Thanks for the heads up on the JJOS and Logiccafe. I'll check them out.

BTW if you have any more info please feel free to post.

All the best

OQ

Hey There,

Again thanks for the reply. I figured out the best way to do what I want is to record my performance in the mpc using only 1 program. Save the program when I'm done. Import the program folder into the EXS instrument window and voila, all my sounds are there. Then record the midi data from my performance into logic. When I play back logic it will play my MPC performance back using the exact samples I used in the mpc but coming from the EXS.

No need to slave or anything like that. I can't believe it is this simple. If I want to add to my performance, My mpc is acting like a controller now so I just bang away on the pads triggering my MPC sounds in logic. I will also take your suggestions as well. A perfect setup...

Charlie I will check out that tutorial and I definitely want the new jjos

prospect I will check out radiohead remix. Their tickets go on sale today!

Thanks guys, all the best..

now I need to learn to chop audio!

OQ

Hey There,

now I need to learn to chop audio!

With the scissor tool hold down "option" on the bar/beat while clicking on the scissors tool....this will save you hours. It will automatically cut that region in accordance to the bar/beat location of the tool.

Hi,

I've just joined this forum. I'm so glad i've finally found someone else wanting to do this! I also need to have separate tracks on Logic, (eg drums, bass whatever...) for adding effects, dynamics & general mixing - but cant seem to get it right! (Making Hip Hop)

The way I do it is to simply, solo the tracks on the MPC, put Logics tempo the same & record audio straight into Logic (sometimes from a mixer). BUT I've had so many problems with the timing in Logic because then I have to perfectly line up all the audio regions starting points, to get it properly in time, but even then it's somewhat wrong near the end of the song! not to mention being a long annoying process!

I read what people have said on here but dont understand. I mean (please correct me if i'm wrong) MIDI is not audio so you can only send messages between machines. So I dont see how you can use midi to create exactly what you've made on the MPC and have it all laid out with correct audio in Logic on separate tracks?

Can someone help me? Surely there is a way of achieving the exact desired timing & better quality audio all into Logic on separate tracks! I know I'm probably being stupid & missing something quite simple but really need to get this sorted as i've got so frustrated with it.

Thanks all for reading my extra long simple question, really appreciate any help! Lizard

Hey Lounge Lizard,

I have spent many a long night trying to figure this out and I finally have, I think, found the best solution.

There are two ways to do this.

1) Use EXS24 (Logics Sampler)

-Setup your studio so your MPC is acting as the controller only. No need to slave or master. IOW, setup so you've got your MPC triggering logic sounds.

-Create New Instrument in EXS24

-Drag MPC samples/Folder to empty slot on left hand side (after you've created instrument). So, IOW. lets say you created a song on the MPC, and you used lets say 16 sounds all together. Take those 16 sound files and add those as an exs instrument.

-it will ask you how to add your samples. Pick the starting note, and choose continuously.

-now pads 1-16 in Bank A on your MPC should trigger the sounds you just loaded into logic, if you've set your program note trigger on your MPC to start at pad 1 (top left) at B0 (note #), it should play all your 16 sounds chromatically. Voila, your using the sounds in your song now programmed in Logic, and you can bang them away on your MPC and make adjustments in logic. You can then create 16 different EXS instruments in your Arrange Window and have each one be a different sound (ie: kick, snare etc) and do even finer editing. Its a dream....

2) Use EXS24

_ Create a beat on your Mpc using 1 program only. So load up all the sounds you want to use in your song, but make sure it is under only 1 program.

-After your done with your beat, save the new program with samples on your MPC hard drive/memory card.

-Transfer the program folder with sounds you just created to your MAC HD that you use Logic on.

-Now, open up an EXS24 track in your arrange window and arm it to record.

-Press Play Start on your MPC and Record in Logic. You'll notice Midi notes being recorded. Record until your song is done.

-Now open up the EXS24 Instrument, and again Create a new instrument.

-Import the Program Folder from the MPC with all the sounds for that particular song.

-Again, choose starting note, choose continuously and boom bap, your samples are loaded. When you press play in logic it will play back your song with the samples you've imported. Edit until your hearts content.

Dude I've been on a S**tl**d of forums and came up up with these two methods. Trust me, once you set it up, it feels as though you are actually programming in the MPC..It's awesome...

Some things to remember. Make Sure you setup a blank program in your MPC that has the notes starting on PAD1 on top left going chromatically to PAD16. This is important as you want to make sure its mapped correctly once you are in EXS 24. You can do that by hitting Mode/Program/Note, and making your adjustments.

It feels nice to give advice for a change. ALl the best man and let me know how it works out for you!

OQ

Hey OQ,

Thanks for the info, really appreciate that, I will definitly try those methods and see how it goes! I've got a couple of questions though (please forgive my ignorance & lack of understanding the basics).

1) What is IOW?

2) What setup do I need to do all this? I mean for things like cables etc...? And mode/routing on mpc & logic?

PEACE

Hey,

Its pretty simple. 1 midi cable. Out of your MPC (A) to IN on your interface. Set the internal pad sound option on your MPC to off. On main screen of MPC set your Midi to 1A.

That's it! Your MPC will act as a controller to Logic. Than follow my instructions above and your good to go.

Good Luck.

OQ

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

It took my a while to get hold of an interface so I've only just tried the MIDI with Logic. Unfortunatly, I cant get it to work. I dont know if it's routed correctly. I set the out on the MPC to Midi Out A & things were happening on Logic, like it was started playing & stopped when I pressed it on the MPC but no notes were recording in! (I did set Logic to record)

Even if I changed any routing on the MPC , it didnt make any difference, I could still start & stop Logic with the MPC but no recording of notes!

I never got round to putting in the program file into the EXS24 because I couldnt see any notes recorded in. I cant understand what I havent done, or what isn't routed properly (maybe on Logic/maybe on MPC)

Strangely if I hit a pad, it will do odd things on Logic like load up EQ on the track selected. At first I thought that changing the MIDI event routing on MPC would help. But neither changes anything.

I checked the manual on this, if you route the pads straight to the midi out-A again nothing happens with notes but it does say "In this case, you will need to set the MIDI transmit channel of the pads to match the MIDI receive channel of the MIDI sound module you want to play." I dont know what that means, can you help me at all?

I'm not sure how different the MPC 4000 is, if that makes much of a difference. I'm using an M-Audio Midisport 1x1

I'm sorry for such a long message, but thought I'd need to explain it fully in case you can help.

Thanks for your time.

PEACE

Hey Lounge Lizard,

You sound like you are on the right track..although I'm perplexed why it isn't working. I'm on an MPC 1000, so that may make a difference I'm not sure. You say that you are able to control Logic from your Mpc, so that means your cables seem to be right (again, I'm not sure why it brought up your EQ when you hit a certain pad). It sounds like you have each of your pads assigned to a certain job..i'm not sure...BUT if you are controlling logic than you shouldn't be too far off.

Do you have a MIDI keyboard that you use to control logic? how do you set that up? it would be the exact same setup except you are using your MPC.

I'm stumped :( It sounds also as if you've got Logic setup as a slave...which you really don't want happening...

I'd suggest setting up your keyboard to play the notes on Logic, and when that works simply switch the cables with your MPC and set Midi out to "On" on the main screen Of MPC

Maybe someone more advanced on this forum knows...anyone???

OQ

Yeah unsure why it's not working! I normally just solo each track and record them into Logic. However, the problems I get from this is getting the timing right & having to line each region up correctly! And also getting the record volume right, but really the exact timing is the problem - as by the end of the track it is way out of time! Do you have those problems?

Plus Logic's tempo is somewhat different from the MPC.

Thanks.

I worked out how to sort out the tempo issue. So long as you have MIDI from your MPC to Logic connected it will automatically sync the tempo! So that's sorted out that problem.

I still have a problem sometimes with hissing on parts of the recording. I dont know if it's because I record the left output into channel 1 & right output to channel 2? & then pan them hard left/hard right. Is that right to do that?

Possibly it's just the track that I'm working on.