Automation modes keep changing

shilshoolon1

Yeah, sorry to break the bad news to ya...

I've posted about this numerous times here and on the Apple/Logic forum. Here's one link:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=22318&highlight=automation

Here's another:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6106852

This is somewhat legacy behavior, too, because recently Logic 7 displayed the "???????????" mode on a track after I did some kind of automation move. The only thing I can suggest to you is if you manually manipulate automation mode data on a track, click/hold on the automation mode button for that track to make sure it's not lying. Also, consider setting up a key command to put all tracks into Touch mode (or Read, whatever you prefer) after you do a pass of automation. This should force Logic to read back the data (and should switch any "off" tracks to that mode).

I've been through the ringer with this. This is a known issue (huge bug) with Logic 8 and unfortunately there are no workarounds...

Obviously, ski, you're not adhering to the rules of Feng Shui and

aligning your CPU with the ecliptic and your monitors with the right

ascension of the new moon.

-

Do that, and all your automation troubles will evaporate like the dew

on the dandelions .............

(Well, it's about as likely as Apple fixing the f$@%ing bug, anyway)

-

C

Also, consider setting up a key command to put all tracks into Touch mode (or Read, whatever you prefer)

You can really set all tracks to the same automation mode with a single key shortcut?

Yup. Look in your key commands. Type in "automation" in the search field and you'll see the available options; these include "set all tracks to _____" (touch, read, latch, etc.)

Also, consider setting up a key command to put all tracks into Touch mode (or Read, whatever you prefer)

You can really set all tracks to the same automation mode with a single key shortcut?

Yup. Look in your key commands. Type in "automation" in the search field and you'll see the available options; these include "set all tracks to _____" (touch, read, latch, etc.)

hi ski

you seem to be the expert on this bug so i just wanted to pick your brain about it...the main two automation problems ive expreinced with LP8 have been the changing of modes and it just not picking up the automation at all even when it is on 'read'(usually after it has cycled a couple of times). I am hoping that updating to 8.0.1 and other thirdparty stuff will ease my woesa bit, but b4 i do anything like that i wanna finish this track...

i guess what i really wanna know is; is there a sure fire way that i can get lp8 to read all the automatoin for a final bounce down? ie if i re-open the song or do your key command trick? ive already bounced down most stuff and its really basic automation like volume and send but i'd really like to know that it is picking it up.

thanks in advance!!

Steve,

Without seeing how your particular song behaves it's really hard to predict how Logic will react. When Logic's automation gets stuck on me, I will often move the automation (and regions) to a new track. Here's the procedure (but don't do it just yet):

1) open autom. event editor on track, select ALL, copy, close window

2) create a new track, manually draw in one node, open the autom. event editor, select ALL, delete (gets rid of the previously drawn-in node), then paste at original position (not just "paste")

3) move the regions to this new track

4) copy the channel strip if necessary

Pain in the ass, right? And sometimes even that doesn't "pick up" the automation right away. But eventually it will.

So rather than do that, I'd say to start by putting all tracks into Touch or Read and listening down. If it sounds right, bounce your track.

But if it doesn't sound right, the only sure-fire way to get the automation data to read in this case is to convert it to region-based automation. This is done as follows:

a) for every track in your arrange page, create a duplicate track (if you have multiple instances of any one track, just create one additional track)

b) draw a blank region (pencil tool) at the beginning of your track and extend it past the end of the track slightly

c) copy that blank region to all of those other blank tracks you created

d) select all of the blank regions

e) use the command to move all track-based automation to region-based automation

f) play down the track to check that it's playing OK

Thanks Steve. Funny thing is that several weeks back I mentioned these problems to an Apple/Logic "insider" (not David, BTW). He told me that they Logic boys were scratching their heads over this problem. I offered to send them a song file that readily and obviously demonstrated the problem. My contact said he'd put my offer out there to the Logic boyz, but I never heard back. I'd like to assume that in the meantime they've gotten to the bottom of the problem on their own. Of course it would have been nice to get at least some feedback, like, "thanks, but we've figured it out", though that would never happen; because unless you're an insider, Apple/Logic doesn't admit to bugs.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, as the case may be), multiple reports of the same behavior (which is undeniably not operator error) confirm this bug's existance and so we as end-users don't need Apple/Logic's validation or acknowledgement of it. It's now up to them to fix their broken software.

Meanwhile, I wish you luck with a workaround.

Best,

-=sKi=-

I have seen this bug too. I used to think it only occurred in projects converted to LP8, but it happened on something brand new.

It seems that the chances of it happening increase when you change the automation points and curves while you're in playback.

• 7 months later...

Wow, I don't know how I've been lucky so far, but I just got hit with this one. Resulted in hours of struggling. Ski -- now I truly know what you meant when you were complaining about Apple's not admitting when they have bugs. Frustrating to think that the kind of bugs that can potentially blow a deadline won't pull info from Apple so that we'd have some idea of whether there's a bugfix coming.

Thank you SO MUCH for your workarounds (a true testimony to your ingenuity and diligence). The "move all track-based automation to region-based automation" solution is working.

Tom

Another note -- I inadvertently moved CURRENT data (volume) to region instead of ALL data as you'd recommended, then found that volumes weren't working everywhere, then did an undo on the data move, and NOW the automation is working again. (The automation stopped working on 6 tracks after I'd frozen them). I'll keep the spare tracks around, in case it happens again.

Tom