Soloing Tracks with a Fader

paulmatthewscello

Hello,

Just wanted to say this is a great resource and definately the most comprehensive anywhere :!:

Here's the question;

I want to create a fader in the environment that has values ranging from 1-20

I want each value on the fader to cause logic to mute individual tracks which i have pre-programmed. E.g

Value 1 on the fader mutes tracks 1,3,6,9 and 11 but as soon as i select value 2 on the fader, track 1,3 and 6 unmutes but tracks 2,4,5 and 13 mute and so on.

The key to this is that i will be able to program what mutes and unmutes with each fader value.

2 things also to ponder, if i try muting something like Kontakt2 on an individual, all the channels are muted within the instrument. This happens when i do it in Logic so to mute individual tracks i need to mute within Kontakt itself. Not sure if these are different cc messages to the ordinary logic messages. would be great if this could be done with both sets of messages.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated

Welcome!

I want each value on the fader to cause logic to mute individual tracks which i have pre-programmed. E.g

Value 1 on the fader mutes tracks 1,3,6,9 and 11 but as soon as i select value 2 on the fader, track 1,3 and 6 unmutes but tracks 2,4,5 and 13 mute and so on.

Curious, why a fader? You could just create track goups and automate one of the mutes on one of each group's tracks.

2 things also to ponder, if i try muting something like Kontakt2 on an individual, all the channels are muted within the instrument. This happens when i do it in Logic so to mute individual tracks i need to mute within Kontakt itself.

Use Kontakt in a multi-output configuration and then you can mute the Logic aux channels the instrument is returning on. Those can belong to groups too.

yes, it would be great if you knew how to do this with a fader. This is so i can add specific tracks in multiples in 1 go with pre-set changes and do it in a live situation.

Before any of us go to the trouble of progrmming that for you, I'd suggest you read up on the Touch Tracks function and see if that's not a better solution for what you're trying to do. It would certainly be more flexible than the fader solution.

I did a bit of reading into Touch Tracks and it seemed to be that they can control regions but i'm not sure about complete midi tracks...

Glue all the regions together in that track to make one MIDI region.

It would be great if you could explain how using touch tracks, i could achieve the result.

Not knowing the musical context of what you're trying to achieve, it would be tough to explain it in any relevant way for you.

I did a bit of reading into Touch Tracks and it seemed to be that they can control regions but i'm not sure about complete midi tracks...

Glue all the regions together in that track to make one MIDI region.

It would be great if you could explain how using touch tracks, i could achieve the result.

Not knowing the musical context of what you're trying to achieve, it would be tough to explain it in any relevant way for you.

Thanks fader8.

Ultimately, i'm looking to use a fader to control these muting/unmuting of tracks. This will allow me to customise what pre-set combinations of instruments are playing as i choose.

With that in mind, will touch tracks help in doing this or not? Ultimately, i'm looking to end up with a fader to do this but am open to suggestions if you think that using touch tracks will help build the fader.

Otherwise, i would be great to hear how you think this would be best acomplished.

Once again, thanks for your help so far. :)