cubase sux, Need info on logic and macs.

hexfix93

I have been using sx since it came out, and i was from the atari st with cubase before that. cubase on the atari was tight. cubase on the pc is a joke, it never records what i play into it correctly.. many different controllers, midi interfaces, sound cards, pcs, still it never records what i paly in correctly and it looses all the soul in my performances. i'm an outboard guy, i'm into vintage synths and outboard midi. i bought an amt8 already... i want super tight midi that records what i play exactly... i tested a mac out, and yeah it works.

problem is, i don't know where to start with macs... i have a 2.4 ghz pc now. and an rme hdsp9652 sound card that i need for my ksp8 adat connection, and eventide spdif... the ksp8 is amy adc.. so i need adat and a good digital mixer that the rme card has, cannot loose the rme card.. new macs are pcix... not compat with my card...

so that leaves me with power macs... older ones..

my current projects are like 6 to 10 neodyniums, 6 to 10 sonalksis eqs, up to 5 ohmboys plugs, kontakt 2 firing off sample libs, and battery doing drums... sometimes the waves l2...

so. how fast of a mac do i need to get like up to 80 tracks of audio with that many plugs going? g5 2.0 ghz? or do i need a dual? i have no clue where to start.. i would of prefered the mac mini or hte imac, but no pci card support, and i need my rme hds9652...

i need tight midi. and cubase has studdered my music career for the last 7 years. i'm sick of it.. please help....

I hear you! I was also on SX + PC up until last year. I now run Logic pro 7.2 and it is beautiful! Takes some time to learn the ways of Logic but the learning time is well spent!

Anyway, I am on (the now old) Powermac dual G5 2.5 with 2.5gb ram. Runs like a charm, and compared to your 2.4ghz PC, the G5 should be much more powerful.

As for the RME, it fits in the G5's with PCI-X slots but not in the PCIe-slots that the new Macs have. Try getting a refurb PPC G5 if you need to keep your RME. Otherwise, the RME Fireface might be a good alternative (albeit more expensive..).

The Frankfurt Musikmesse is around the corner now. I would at least wait for that and see if RME has some announcements on pcie versions of their Hammerfalls. Could be a long-shot though..

As for learning Logic (off topic I know, sorry!), check out the Apple Pro Certified Training series books. Also, I believe David here might have suggestions on good reading as well :-)

Good luck,

Mikael

i'd still like to know if a g4 or single processor g5 can handle what i want out of logic..

Hex,

I run a dual 1.25 G4 w/2gB RAM, 2 RME's, UAD-1. I'd say your spec song is just about as far as I care to push it (at 48k) with a few more plugs if they're not too hungry. So, if you sprang for a dual 2.5 G5, you'd have some breathing room.

I was a longtime Cubase user, but they lost me with SX on the Mac. It was an ugly transition, didn't have a useable app until SX2. they also lost me when SX couldn't fully load a VST5 song.

I started on version3, every major upgrade meant that old material had to be remixed.

Didn't have great confidence in Steinberg, for the OSX transition. So I purchased DP3 and what was then the Logic Big Box.

You may want to take a look at the new Core Duo machines, early reports state that a Macbook has about the same power as the current dual G5s. You would have to wait a while for 3rd party plugs, but Logic 7.2 is ready to go on the MacIntels.

I'm thinking about trying out one of the Core Duo Minis.

8)

hexfix93, I'm afraid you'll find the limitation os a single G4 or G5 very quickly, and will be frustrated too soon to make it a worthy investment. I agree with doubleyou, if you can get yourself even a simple iMac coreduo you'll get much more bang for your bucks as far as CPU goes.

I don't know all the plug-ins you mention, but Kontakt is a CPU hog, and if you work with large sample libraries you'll also want to install quite a bit of RAM, somewhere between 2 and 4G (in which case my iMac suggestion would go out the window since the max you can put in it is 2G).

hexfix93, I'm afraid you'll find the limitation os a single G4 or G5 very quickly, and will be frustrated too soon to make it a worthy investment. I agree with doubleyou, if you can get yourself even a simple iMac coreduo you'll get much more bang for your bucks as far as CPU goes.

I don't know all the plug-ins you mention, but Kontakt is a CPU hog, and if you work with large sample libraries you'll also want to install quite a bit of RAM, somewhere between 2 and 4G (in which case my iMac suggestion would go out the window since the max you can put in it is 2G).

yeah, i figured as much, but what sucks is the minimac wotn take my pci card that i really need for my intput output. unless there is some super low latency fire wire options that will give me adat, and sdif and i mixer liek the rme has...