Pro or express?

hexfix93

although express is great the plugins alone (Space Designer, Organ simulator, compressions ) which are some of my favorites are worth the extra cash. However if you buy express and then Pro later through an upgrade you wont be losing any money it will cost the same. Just something to think about.

I think if you switched from Pro to express it would definitely hurt, but coming from a fresh perspective on Logic you'll love Express. The missing key commands, plugins, markers (the way Pro handles them at least) and other nice features might not be a big deal if you never had them to begin with. I just remembered that Apple removed the marquee tool from Express - that is a big deal if you do a lot of audio editing.

I'd say try the Express demo for a month and take several songs from beginning to end and see if it's comfy for you. I'f you're still happy at the end, then it's all you need.

Quantizing notes is very limited in Express. If you need adjustable Quantization and other (what I would consider basic) MIDI features, look at Cubase for a less expensive alternative to Logic Pro. The Environment is also very limited in Express, which disappointed me a lot because I used to use Performer on a Mac and Logic 3.5 on a PC. Also, the sampler is a player only, which was a real limitation to us until we bought Kontakt 2.

After a few months with Express, we upgraded to Pro. Nice because you get two programs for the price of one.

Pro is easily worth the money once you realize how powerful it is. Project Manager, awesome synths, reverb and mastering tools. I just can't get over how cool Sculpture is. My wife loves EVP88.