Tab to Transient Equivalent?

David Nahmani

then CMD-I for identify beat... slice, fly and arrange from there.

In Logic, you need to use Beat Mapping (a so called 'global track') for identifying beats:

Enable the Beat Mapping track, and then grab a bar line (from inside the Beat Mapping area), and drag it onto the transient. That's all. Use Control + Shift for more precise editing.

If your audio track is selected, it's waveforms appear inside the Beat Mapping track as well.

I was tying this just to practice...after I have cut up the parts I don't understand how to use the event list to quantize it... Am I missing something? It is probably right in front of me and I do not see it.....

edit - never mind. Now I feel stupid hehe.....I just hadn't any quantize selected before I was hitting the q =/

• 13 years later...
The short answer, unfortunately, is no. None of these methods I would call 'equivalent'. PT's T2T feature is specifically intentional, simple, smooth, immediately ready, and it works. There's nothing to set up or manipulate. Still, that being said, I feel Logic is far superior in most everything else. Would LOVE to see this feature, vocal comps would be so much quicker!

The short answer, unfortunately, is no. None of these methods I would call 'equivalent'. PT's T2T feature is specifically intentional, simple, smooth, immediately ready, and it works. There's nothing to set up or manipulate. Still, that being said, I feel Logic is far superior in most everything else. Would LOVE to see this feature, vocal comps would be so much quicker!

Have you tried the Marquee tool?

tab-transients.gif.756765f018f20ce4f6f4c311b2178478.gif

hey.. those commands exist.. but you have to set them manually..

Note that to move the "cursor" (1 pixel wide Marquee selection in Logic) like I showed in the animation I just posted, there's no need to set the key commands: if you're using the default U.S. key command preset, a single click with the Marquee tool creates a 1 pixel wide Marquee selection, then you can press the left or right arrow keys to move it to the previous or next transient.

Thanks for the reply, David! I have tried but never quite got it to work as well. If you feel confident about it I’ll give it another chance and keep tweaking and try to get it there. I trust you, you usually have the answer when I come to this forum.

Yes definitely give it a try, the feature has been getting better with the latter updates. Basically a single-click with the Marquee tool, then use the left and right arrows. It will skip to detected transient markers. If you don't like the position of the transient markers then you can adjust them in the Audio File Editor in Transient Editing mode. Let me know if you need any help or have trouble making it work.

Bonus tip: you can press the delete key on your keyboard to make a cut at the Marquee cursor position, then continue pressing right-arrow to move on to the next transient, which allows for quick slicing of an audio file!

• 3 months later...
Bonus tip: you can press the delete key on your keyboard to make a cut at the Marquee cursor position, then continue pressing right-arrow to move on to the next transient, which allows for quick slicing of an audio file!

Hi. Sorry to barge in to this thread! When I try this the 2nd split at transient deletes the remaining of the file. Is there a way to literally just create cuts on the audio file as you move along?

Thanks

Sorry to barge in to this thread! When I try this the 2nd split at transient deletes the remaining of the file. Is there a way to literally just create cuts on the audio file as you move along?

Thanks

Make sure you first press the right-arrow key to move the Marquee line to the next transient before you press Delete? Like this (this is me alternating between Right-arrow to move the Marquee to the next transient, and Delete to cut the region):

marquee-cuts.gif.ae2b368bad0319e456b7d056d3a19349.gif

Sorry to barge in to this thread! When I try this the 2nd split at transient deletes the remaining of the file. Is there a way to literally just create cuts on the audio file as you move along?

Thanks

Make sure you first press the right-arrow key to move the Marquee line to the next transient before you press Delete? Like this (this is me alternating between Right-arrow to move the Marquee to the next transient, and Delete to cut the region):

marquee-cuts.gif

Weird it's not working for me. Right arrow and then backspace.

Transient.gif.1434ca8a52e9b58ae14f94bdaf15d906.gif

Weird it's not working for me. Right arrow and then backspace.

Let's make sure we're talking about the same key because on the Mac keyboard, there's no key officially named "backspace". Are you using a Mac keyboard? Do you mean the large delete key that is located at the top right, second row down?

Are you using the U.S. Preset of key commands?

Tried again with US keyboard and with "UK PC" and still does the same.

I got around the problem by using "Forward/Rewind by transient" key command and then split at playhead but it's interesting to find out why I get this weird behaviour with the marquee transient function...

• 1 year later...