View sorted kit sounds in Ultrabeat?

bluesnfire401

Hello,

I'm still learning Logic and am more familiar with Reason. When using Redrum, Reason's drum machine, there is this wonderful feature/folder that contains all the individual drum sounds from each drum kit, e.g. all the kick drum sounds from all the Redrum drum kits together in one place. I love this feature because it allows you to quickly search through all the sounds at your disposal for just one voice, such as your kick drum.

In Logic's Ultrabeat, it seems like the "Drum Bank" folder would serve a similar function, but it appears it does not, or at least not as comprehensively. There are far more than 25 preset kits in Ultrabeat, each with its own set of snare, kick, hat sounds etc. Yet when I load, for example the Acoustic Kick Drum folder into the import window, I'm given only 25 kick drum samples to work with. Is there a way to view all the sounds from all the Ultrabeat kits, but sorted into the various different types like, snare, hi hat, kick drum, etc? It seems almost impossible to really figure out what sounds you have at your disposal without such a feature. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Click on Import.

Navigate to:

Macintosh HD/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Ultrabeat

All of the UltraBeat sound are there. However, remember that UB uses a combination of samples and synth settings to create most of it's sounds -not just samples. So in order for you to find those "combined" settings, you have to import the Plug-In Settings files (.pst). And then, audition them in the import buffer window.. and if you like them, drag them to voice assignment where you want them to appear in the assignment window.

Hope this helps!

Click on Import.

Navigate to:

Macintosh HD/Application Support/Logic/Plug-In Settings/Ultrabeat

All of the UltraBeat sound are there. However, remember that UB uses a combination of samples and synth settings to create most of it's sounds -not just samples. So in order for you to find those "combined" settings, you have to import the Plug-In Settings files (.pst). And then, audition them in the import buffer window.. and if you like them, drag them to voice assignment where you want them to appear in the assignment window.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I've basically been doing just what you said when using UB. It just seems a shame that there aren't folders that contain the sounds sorted by voice type (e.g. kick drums, snares, hi-hats, cymbals, etc.). I realize that many of UB's sounds are not just samples, but still, it seems like it'd be a pretty easy thing to have, for example, all kick-drum-like sounds from all the respective drum kits sorted into one single folder, so users don't have to import every single UB drum kit individually, just so they can audition the 1 or 2 kick drum sounds in that kit. Let me know if you have any more thoughts, and thanks again.

I'm just reading quickly.. but I think that's what you want? Click the "IMPORT" button in Ultrabeat and you'll see the drum banks. Then you can choose one and import individual snares, or kicks, etc...

I've looked through the drum bank sounds in the past, and while it's certainly a start, it's just so strange to me that it's not comprehensive, i.e. it does not contain all the respective sounds from the UB drumkits. For example, if I open two instances of UB, and load Broken Beat Kit 01 into one, I see that the "low kick", uses a sample and the phase osc. from Osc 1. I load the acoustic kick drum bank into the second instance of UB. Auditioning all the sounds, I don't find a single sounds that matches the profile of the "Low Kick" from Broken Beat Kit 01. So, it seems to me that the only way to access the sounds from the kits is to actually import the whole kit and audition the 1 or 2 sounds of interest from each one. It seems like the sounds from all the drum kits should also be included into the respective sorted lists. Thanks much for the suggestion!

• 4 years later...