Hearing Plugin Effects While Recording

w7ptt

Last night I was going to record a guitar part into my sequence. What I am wondering is how do I hear the plugin effects (like distortion or reverb) while I am recording the guitar part? I hear the plugin(s) when I play it back, but not while I am recording. Is there some option I need to turn on or checkbox I need to check to enable being able to hear the plugins while I am recording on a particular track?

Alan,

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

By the way, is there any disadvantage of using software/input monitoring? I mean I know that if I want to hear my plugin effects I will need to enable software/input monitoring but I was wondering if there are any side affects/consequences of doing so (affecting the recording, etc)?

Software monitoring has no affect (or effect, for that matter) on the recording. The sound is converted to digital bits by the A/D converter in your audio interface and recorded directly to your hard drive. The effects are applied on playback, that's how you can come back months later and change the entire channel strip to put completely new effects on the track as only the raw, uneffected audio has been recorded.

Software monitoring, like everything in life, has advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is that most people play or sing better (or at least differently) when they can hear the effects as they perform. You might be inspired to play a lick differently if you hear a heavily distorted wail from your guitar rather than the polite plink of the uneffected strings.

The disadvantage is the L word - Latency. Every link in the chain adds a slight delay. When you play a sound on your guitar this has to be converted to digital. Then every effect in the chain has to be calculated and then the signal has to be converted to analogue for you to be able to hear it. Each of these steps takes time and although we’re talking in terms of milliseconds it could be enough to throw your playing off.

So, it’s an individual choice. If you set up software monitoring, add a couple of fx and can play without noticing any delays then great. It works for me. Check out latency in the manual, you may also want to look up Low Latency Mode but that has its own disadvantages.

I hope that this has been of some help to you.

Good Luck,

Alan.

Hello again,

Software monitoring (hearing the effects while recording) was working OK for a few days, but now it is not working. I have double checked my seettings (in Audio pref's that I have software monitoring turned on, and that I have Input monitoring turned on with the channel strip). I do hear the effects on playback.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

• 1 year later...
ps: yes, software monitoring is on

n

Have you turned on the Input monitoring button for that track? It's to the left of the Record, Mute & Solo buttons and has an I in it. It should be orange. If you can't see it then you need to reconfigure your Track Header to show it. Right Click (or Ctrl+Click) the Track Header and from the menu choose 'Configure Track Header...' then tick the Input monitoring button.

HTH,

Alan.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

I've been having this same issue. Using a Behringer interface with "direct monitoring" on. On the channel strip I have "input monitoring" turned on (yes it is orange). All I can hear is the dry signal while recording. I can only hear processing during playback.

ALSO, I can only monitor in one ear at a time for each input. I have a 2 input interface and input 1 is always in the left ear and input 2 is always in the right. Useful for stereo recording of a single source but not so much when recording multiple sources or just one mono source. I haven't found a setting to adjust this?

Any help is much appreciated!

Hey all,

I've been having this same issue. Using a Behringer interface with "direct monitoring" on. On the channel strip I have "input monitoring" turned on (yes it is orange). All I can hear is the dry signal while recording. I can only hear processing during playback.

ALSO, I can only monitor in one ear at a time for each input. I have a 2 input interface and input 1 is always in the left ear and input 2 is always in the right. Useful for stereo recording of a single source but not so much when recording multiple sources or just one mono source. I haven't found a setting to adjust this?

Any help is much appreciated!

The first thing to do is to determine whether or not you're monitoring your input signal through your audio interface or Logic. In Logic, choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio, click "General" and make sure "Software monitoring is disabled". Can you still monitor your signal while recording?

Hm, so “software monitoring” WAS disabled. When I enable it, it basically fixes the issue but still behaves funny.

If the project in logic is NOT playing, I can hear my incoming signal im both ears w/ fx.

If the project in logic IS playing but im NOT recording (tracks are still armed, just not actively recording) it reverts back to the dry signal L/R thing which is a bummer because thats when I would be demoing or “practicing” the part before recording.

While actually recording I can hear signal w/fx in both ears.

I will say that even when it’s “working” the audio sounds a little weird while recording vs playback of recorded signal. Like maybe It’s duplicated or something?

Hm, so “software monitoring” WAS disabled.

Stop right there (I didn't even read any further into your post): that means you're monitoring your input through your audio interface. You need to disable that before you go any further. You shouldn't hear ANY input signal through your audio interface at all. Then — and only then — you can set up monitoring through Logic.

Headphones plugged into laptop now (NOt interface)

Direct Monitor off on interface

Output in logic set to built-in output (headphone jack)

I don't hear anything, UNLESS software monitoring is enabled... which you said to disable. When it is enabled it seems to be working fine. So am I missing something?

I don't hear anything, UNLESS software monitoring is enabled...

Great, that's the expected behavior.

which you said to disable. When it is enabled it seems to be working fine. So am I missing something?

I said to disable it only so that you can double-check that you're not hearing ANY monitoring at all (which would come from your audio interface). Once you've double-checked, you need to turn it back on to hear software monitoring.

Now can you hear your effects?