Logic Studio 9!

thindave

David, I appreciate your response... I just gotta say, that sucks. I was really having problems getting on with Logic 8 and just bought Nuendo 4 with the expansion kit. It was a HUGE investment.

I can't afford another platform switch. I just wish the version of Logic I have worked right all of the time.

This is kind of an insult that we are forced to upgrade just to get bug fixes. Plus, we don't even know which bugs they fixed and if any new bugs have been created. Please tell me there is version information available as to known issues, fixes since last update, etc.

I am enjoying Nuendo and not really looking to switch back, but I do still use Logic. It hurts even more now that Logic is a secondary app and I still have to pay for bug fixes. I mean some people CAN'T upgrade! Where does this leave PPC users in terms of a last surviving stable logic? Way to go out with a bang...

Oh and yeah, parts of Logic 9 are like cheating, and it does accurately represent the most requested features. I won't even go into what this correlation means to the music business and music in general... (this isn't logic's fault or anything, just technology in general.)

This is kind of an insult that we are forced to upgrade just to get bug fixes. Plus, we don't even know which bugs they fixed and if any new bugs have been created. Please tell me there is version information available as to known issues, fixes since last update, etc.

they should at least release a little update too fix the effects buffer problem and the visual bugs

Oh and yeah, parts of Logic 9 are like cheating, and it does accurately represent the most requested features. I won't even go into what this correlation means to the music business and music in general... (this isn't logic's fault or anything, just technology in general.)

these features seem like things that should be in garageband rather than logic pro

i'm happy with logic 8 and i just want bug fixes!

I get my copy in a few hours. If overload errors and plugin cache problems aren't fixed I'll say that this is simply putting lipstick on a pig. Steve Job's track record of being the Barnum and Baily of the computer world seems to point to this but hey, who knows....

I get my copy in a few hours. If overload errors and plugin cache problems aren't fixed I'll say that this is simply putting lipstick on a pig. Steve Job's track record of being the Barnum and Baily of the computer world seems to point to this but hey, who knows....

damn dude you really threw me off for a second..

i was wondering where my reply went and then i realized that i had replied on your gearslutz post not this one!

Flex Time and Audio Quantize! It was about time! Hope the bugs are fixed...most of them.
im just dying to know whether this is a new version with a whole new pile of bugs to sift through or if its essentially a solid version of 8.

i know that sounds cynical as f*%@, but whatever. im glad i switched to logic a year ago, but some of these bugs are hellish and should have stopped 8 hitting the market until they were sorted. i hope 9 is not the same

i would like to know what else has been improved besides the obvious announced features (which besides the time stretching are not interesting to me).

any improvements for editing midi?

any improvements and bug fixing in the score editor?

any improvements or better concepts in handling external standalone instruments?

Well, I've spent lots of time sending bug reports and crash reports to apple, so surely they must get looked at!?! Lets hope so! I just ordered the upgrade as couldn't resist! Estimated delivery time of Sept 7th. Seems like an age away, but it's not that far really. :D
So have they fixed all the bugs from 8?? Probably not.

How about any midi fixes?? Mulitple lanes of automation? Or the one that everybody was waiting for, improvements to their pitch factory??

What would be great is if they fixed all the bugs in 8.0.2 before jumping straight to 9.. I think Apple thinks we are all college kids and that we are going to get hyped and super impressed over functions that other DAW's have had for ages.

for something that hasnt been updated in almost 2 whole years, I see nothing of interest beyond flex time, at least for those of us who already own guitar rig 3...I want bug fixes for crying out loud not $200 upgrades
Well, as someone that doesn't typically give out any rants on the subject, I really think it's complete B.S. that they never even finished 8! Regardless of the spiffiness that the upgrade brings. Isn't there supposed to be like a point release or something? I mean, to go from 8.0.2 to 9 with no warning or heads up?
Any word on a free maintenance update for Logic 8? You know, one that fixes undo and other tiny unimportant things like that...

i'm happy with logic 8 and i just want bug fixes!

Dear Apple, please send us a list of bug fixes so we know.

I think the new Logic SEEMS brilliant. I`ll buy it as soon I see the first raving users here :roll :D. I love the new features, but what sold it to me was the Notepad. I wornder if they just dusted off old code from Notator. :)

Regarding our whinning fellows that bought Logic 8 in the past five minutes: I empathize with You, but I bought L8 2 years ago... What do You want me to do? Keep waiting another couple of years because Apple don`t want to hurt your feelings?. If you felt L8 was good for you last week I have good news: It still is as good as it was. And more good news are that the program was updated, not faded into oblivion and You can buy all those new features the moment you feel you need them.

Bad news: No new PDC.... and that one is a BIG one, at least for me. I already have stompboxes. :)

I think the new Logic SEEMS brilliant.

Regarding our whinning fellows...

I agree. And as for the whining, I agree even more. Logic 9 has been announced for a whole day, and the bitching and moaning has been ridiculous. It's worse than the old days of the LUG.

David, as usual you're doing a great job and I admire your ability to weather the crybabies like you do every time a new version of Logic comes out.

Keep up the great work!

hey Eric...notice this!???! Pretty damn close to having the ProTools Multi Tool!! No more having to constantly select the Fade Tool!!! This will MASSIVLY speed up audio editing.......

.......Fade Tool Click Zones: When this checkbox is selected, placing the mouse pointer over the upper-left and upper-right edges of a region activates the Fade cursor and behavior. The Loop cursor and behavior can still be accessed in these click zones by holding down Option.

Marquee Tool Click Zones: When this checkbox is selected, placing the mouse pointer over the lower half of a region (with the exception of the lower-left and lower-right edges) activates the Marquee cursor and behavior.

Nice one. Dave! :D

I'm really happy about the Fade Tool Zones.

I'm not so sure about the Marquee option, cause I always use it as my Command tool.

BTW. It's nice to see you back and active. :D

A question to D Nahmani about the Marquee Tool Click Zones:

Do you find it useful and have you incorporated it to your workflow?

This is soooo overdue it's a joke, if no upgrade at least update that god awful gui uugh. same with es1. Yes i am an eye candy kinda of a guy and i prefer knobs over sliders ':wink:'

Further Questions:

Has the exs24 been updated? Anything fancier ?

Is this in apple stores?

:)

I'll buy the update to LS9 ASAP! The new features are almost everything I was waiting for. And I was so close of buying Digidesign's Mbox because of audio editing tools. I have Roland TD-20 drum set and quantizing audio will be a piece of cake for me. I am getting so impatient.

UPS was here five minutes ago!

Thanks for the all the info Eric and David.

This upgrade is exactly right for me. Flexi time (or Elastic audio) sounds brilliant. The one truly important feature (for me). I can’t understand those that say it should have been a free update (as opposed to a paid upgrade). Every other DAW has charged for the elastic time update (Pro Tools, Cubase).

I really can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. I’m very jealous of you Eric!

------------------------------

On a different note, it seems odd to me that people complain that they buy a two-year-old piece of software and moan that an upgrade is available straight away. They would have paid less than those of us who purchased at release (Logic 8 was £330 when it first came out, recently it was £270) and the release of 9 in no way diminishes the power of what they have just bought. Surely, they can wait until Logic 9 is two years old and then buy it cheaper?

As for the PPC users, I do feel for you. It is horrible feeling to think that something that cost so much is already obsolete. But … three years really isn’t that bad in the computer world. Luckily I found Mac nirvana in 2007, after the Intel change so I was lucky. Even so my Mac Pro is over two years old, and realistically anything I can use for over three years is a bonus. But … I understand that it makes you feel p***ed off.

Not really so different from the Vista upgrade – which required many people to upgrade their machines, just the same as Snow Leopard.

I also very much understand the whining about LP8 not being fixed and having to buy LP9 for the fixes. The truth is that all DAW designers do that. Anyone remember the Cubase SX3 debacle? Everyone waiting a year for a promised upgrade that then never arrived (and it took them three weeks after the time was up to admit it). If you wanted bug fixes you had to buy Cubase 4. It was that single moment that moved me away from Steinberg forever. In a way, Logic has done the same – except there was never a promise of bug fixes! :)

Individual/independent gain for audio clips in the Extended Region Parameters!! Cool, I have wanted this for years

http://img.skitch.com/20090724-ed88g556tt2f6jwpf8bda3h3cu.preview.jpg

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Is that gain value can be automated in fine steps? I'm inserting the gain plugin but the resolution is rather coarse when automated.