Official "Did they fix this" in Logic 9 thread!

JT3_Jon

Hello everyone,

After reading almost 30 pages of posts on logic 9 looking for conformations that bugs were fixed, I thought it would be helpful to have an official "Did they fix this in Logic 9" thread! Ask your specific "did they fix this" problems to this thread, and hopefully a kind Logic 9 user will see if its indeed fixed.

PLEASE NO DISCUSSION ABOUT IF THE UPGRADE IS WORTH IT OR NOT IN THIS THREAD! Lets keep this on topic so potential upgraders can easily scan and see if their specific problem has been addressed. I'll try to keep a running log of all questions and answers in this first post. I'll update as often as possible.

Did they fix...

The midi chase bug where midi CC's & sustain pedals set to midi channels other than 1 would not chase properly? For example, set an on/off sustain pedal on midi channel 2, play through the sustain off message and now jump into the middle of the sustain on message. Does the sustain pedal work?

The graphical bug where the matrix/score editors would not always display the selected region? I dont know how to replicate this one, but sometimes I would select a region and the previously selected regions would show up in my matrix/score editors. The only way to get it to update was to click off all regions, and re-click the region I wanted to edit.

Custom I/O labels not showing up in I/O Plugin. They work great in External Instrument, but not I/O plugin. Seemed to be an oversight in Logic 8.

The bug where "New with next midi channel" places instrument on top of first audio track in mixer environment and it cannot be moved! I've tried all the “organize layer” options as well as dragging the name (which is how I move other objects) and still it will not move in L8. Hopefully this has been addressed in L9.

Please add your own "did they fix this" questions and lets compile our own "bug fix list!" Thanks.

On the heels of what JT asked about note-chasing, in Logic 9 will notes playback properly when playback is initiated from any downbeat? For those who aren't aware of the problem, in L8 if you start playback from 5 1 1 1 where there are notes are quantized to 5 1 1 1, they simply won't sound. It's necessary to start playback a bit before 5 1 1 1 to hear them.

Is the behavior any different in L9?

On the heels of what JT asked about note-chasing, in Logic 9 will notes playback properly when playback is initiated from any downbeat? For those who aren't aware of the problem, in L8 if you start playback from 5 1 1 1 where there are notes are quantized to 5 1 1 1, they simply won't sound. It's necessary to start playback a bit before 5 1 1 1 to hear them.

thats wierd, i've never encountered this problem.

Did they add the ability to generate a dotted half note click when recording in 6/8, 9/8, 12/8 time signatures? Judging by this screenshot from the online help (which looks no different from L8's pane), I think not. Can anyone with an actual copy of L9 confirm or deny?

902006864_Picture192.jpg.b56b72d3261a1a89c09daa580dd156f5.jpg

did they fix?....

when using replace mode...when punching out. you cant hear the audio for about a second after punch out (audio only on the record track cant be heard)

THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY FOR YEARS!!!!!

IF I remember right, this was fixed in 8.01 or 8.02, but you have to manually enable Punch On The Fly first.

so next try : how about the latency compensation bug with the i/o plug-in in auxes ???

I wouldn't say that the behaviour of the I/O plug-in on aux channels is a "bug". It's more a general lack of user understanding of how Logic's plug-in delay compensation works. PDC delays aux channels, along with outputs, to synchronize the audio streams. Sending an already delayed signal to an external effect path is not what you want.

On the other hand, track audio is advanced by the PDC, so inserting an I/O plug on the track for an insert effect, or on a bus channel if it's a send effect, will properly send audio in advance to the external path.

The problem is that we have to use various manual techniques and 3rd party solutions to measure the round trip delay and report that delay to the PDC system. I have not heard anyone report yet that Logic has provided a built-in solution for this. So it's not a bug, just the lack of a needed feature.

well, i know about all the workarounds, but didn't we call it a bug here ?

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=27725&highlight=

OK, this is indeed odd. It also seems to have nothing to do with PDC either, as the symptom remains even with PDC off. It also doesn't seem to relate to whether the instrument is in Live Mode or not.

Even stranger, if I set the bpm to say, 5, and turn cycle on and let it cycle 4 or 5 times thru a couple of bars, then it suddenly goes back in sync. Stop, then play again and it's out of sync. Set it back to 100 bpm and it doesn't behave that way, just stays out of sync. I'm doing this with just a quick pulse per bar, EXS24.

I absolutely cannot figure out how this could be happening. It is a strange bug, but it would seem the workaround is to be sure to have a send instantiated on all your instrument tracks, even though nothing is actually being sent on them.

So yup, I'd say it's a bug.

well, i know about all the workarounds, but didn't we call it a bug here ?

http://logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=27725&highlight=

What we were calling a bug there was the odd intermittent behaviour when using instruments, with or without PDC, and the simple presence of sends on those channels and whether or not the I/O plug was present on an aux. Yes, I'd call that a bug, because of the inconsistent behaviour.

But I wouldn't call it a serious bug as it still remains a bad idea to use the I/O plug on an aux. It just doesn't make sense operationally when regarding how PDC works n Logic.

did they fix?....

when using replace mode...when punching out. you cant hear the audio for about a second after punch out (audio only on the record track cant be heard)

THIS HAS BEEN DRIVING ME CRAZY FOR YEARS!!!!!

maybe they fixed that,...but they completely broke replace mode,....lol.

how'd that slip by!

it just doesn't replace at all,.it creates a folder.

I experience this constantly and it's never been a huge deal (as most 'bugs in Logic are... well...except automation) but I thought I'd chime in with wanting it to be fixed

At a high enough zoom setting in No Overlap drag mode, dragging an audio region to the right so it barely touches another region (and therefore, should shorten) completely deletes said region.

Almost every Logic user I know experiences this. Fixed? That's the only one that completely drives me nuts.

and the ability to double click a midi region and have it open in the midi editor window rather then in the half pane midi editor...

I'd like that too, but I'm just in the habit of selecting a MIDI region and pressing Command-6.

...or you can hold down alt and double click. :D

and the ability to double click a midi region and have it open in the midi editor window rather then in the half pane midi editor...

Doesn't that only work to open a separate window for either the score or pianoroll editor (depending on how the prefs are set)?

I thought bobbybass meant the piano roll by 'midi editor window'?

Doesn't that only work to open a separate window for either the score or pianoroll editor (depending on how the prefs are set)?

yes you can alt click or command 6, but for the amount of midi i do i find it frustrating to have to hold a modifier key- of course you can assign to a hotkey..but if you have the option to open in a half pane with double click, why not have the option to have it open in a full window as well via preferences.

how about the ability to select more than one audio track in the arrange view/ inspector and move them up or down?

nope.

wow, well does anyone else care about this functionality? or is just me. i feel like i spend alot of time moving audio tracks one by one.

BB

yes you can alt click or command 6, but for the amount of midi i do i find it frustrating to have to hold a modifier key- of course you can assign to a hotkey..but if you have the option to open in a half pane with double click, why not have the option to have it open in a full window as well via preferences.

I just made my most popular editors locked screensets. One keystroke, and I am where I want to be.

wow, well does anyone else care about this functionality? or is just me. i feel like i spend alot of time moving audio tracks one by one.BB

Not sure what kind of response you're expecting. If you're looking for people to get into an uproar about it then I doubt it's gonna happen. Sure, it would be nice to have a regular feature that lets you move groups of tracks simultaneously. But short of that, there's STILL a way to do it --- read this.

Next... are you talking about the piano roll editor when you say "midi editor"?

If you want to be able to open (whatever) editor without having to hold down a modifier key, I suggest you check out either USBOverdrive, Quickeys, or similar utility. These let you program mouse buttons to output things other than mouse clicks. For example, on my multi-button mouse, one of the buttons outputs OPT+double-click by way of USBOverdrive. Here's how it works:

USBOverdrive intercepts mouse clicks and maps them to whatever you want for specific apps. So for Logic, my button 5 outputs OPT+2click. For the Finder that same button does something else.

That's probably the best you're gonna be able to do.

Good luck.

At a high enough zoom setting in No Overlap drag mode, dragging an audio region to the right so it barely touches another region (and therefore, should shorten) completely deletes said region.

Almost every Logic user I know experiences this. Fixed? That's the only one that completely drives me nuts.

I don't have Logic 9 yet so I can't say if this is fixed, but if you're trying to get one region's end to bump up immediately against another's start, I suggest you instead first shorten the region's corner, and then use Shuffle mode to move the other region right up against it. So much less work.

But I wouldn't call it a serious bug as it still remains a bad idea to use the I/O plug on an aux. It just doesn't make sense operationally when regarding how PDC works n Logic.

I don't agree. There is a bug. NO question about it.

When you open a multiinstrument, press + and route sounds to the occuring Aux'es you get the opportunity to insert the I/O plugin.

Here's the first point! It's there, ergo it's supposed to work as intended right there! Well, it doesn't really. Yes, you can insert it...but it does have a side effect:

As long as you have selected the original multiinstrument's track you're ok, but select another track and you start getting a weird loop back sound.

And you don't even have to have the I/O plugin enabled! As far as I remember you don't even have to have ins and outs selected in the plugin. Inserting it is enough to make whatever-it-is go hay wire.

There IS and error. It IS a bug. And to have seen it unaddressed in now WELL over a year is appalling! Cubase's PDC works flawlessly. Heck even Reaper's PDC works well. With Cubase and Reaper's pinging feature showing the way, it's really odd to see that Apple haven't nicked that yet.

But let alone the Aux issue... How about just making PDC work for I/O plugins on regular audio tracks??? Has that been fixed in 9??

I could live with not being able to use it on Aux channels if it worked on regular audio and instrument tracks, but it doesn't! Not in 8...

The fixing of that combined with the bounce-in-place would be a huge thing for me and is really a deal breaker for me as I'm mixing exclusively with outboard eq's and comps and 50% of FX from hardware as well...

Edited by Luny Tune