Logic 9 bounce in place not working as it should

john909kid

Trying to get the bounce in place to work on an external instrument track linked to a hardware synth.

From the Logic 9 manual " The bounce process is usually performed offline, but Logic Pro automatically switches to real-time bouncing whenever necessary. (When there is external gear involved, the External Instrument or I/O plug-in is used.)"

Not with me it's not.... the SPL whizzes through as if doing an offline bounce, without detecting its an external ins track and doing a real time bounce as it should...

anyone else confirm please?

No im bouncing a software instrument track with an external instrument plug in. From the Logic 9 manual it even clearly states that it can bounce an external instrument region, but for obvious reasons Logic 9 will detect its an external instrument plug and bounce in real time.... for me its not working as it states in the manual.

Quote from manual: " Logic Pro automatically switches to real-time bouncing whenever necessary. (When there is external gear involved, the External Instrument plug-in"

Just tried again. 'Bounce track in place' seems to crash no matter what I do.

'Bounce region in place' seems to work OK, but it's greyed out for instrument tracks with the 'External Instrument' plugin (a shame it can't just do it in real time...).

'Bounce region in place' with an i/o plugin on the track results in logic doing a offline bounce (the manual states it should detect an i/o or external inst. plugin and automatically switch to realtime bouncing).

Hope they fix this in an update soon. :roll:

Edited by involver

Thanks for testing and checking it out guys. But i've no crash here, just an off-line bounce, without detecting it needs to be an on-line one for the ex ins plug.

Why write something in the manual when it clearly does not work!?

I'd really like this to work as it states in the manual, so hoping it gets fixed to how it should be.

Edited by john909kid

Think I've worked out why "bounce track in place" makes me crash.

It seems to be some MPC groove templates that I copied from my old template file. Even if I just copy and paste this folder into an empty template the "bounce track in place" feature will then always result in a crash. They are not even added to the groove template menu though, its just a folder with midi notes in it! Weird! :?

When I unpacked the folder, and then re-packed it, 'bounce track in place' now works (except for the other bugs outlined above eg. ext. inst. plugin, i/o plugin, etc.) However, when I try to do this with my main template the crashes resume. Odd! :roll:

Edited by involver

Ok I have done some tests.

1. Create software instrument track with your favorite plugin.

2. Create a 1 bar midi clip and repeat it 3 times by dragging the bottom right corner.

3. select region

4. Region->Bounce regions in place

Result : 1 Bar audio region created in new track, not much use really as if you then repeat this audio region it will not sound the same as the original repeated midi region.

Is this the same for everyone?

• 6 months later...

Just some after thoughts on this old topic, and how the bounce in place function for external hardware instruments does not work full stop...

I've been demoing Ableton Live, and using Lives external instrument plug-in for use with hardware synths. I then chose the "freeze" function from the menu, and Live then detected i was using hardware synths, and the render to audio file was performed in real time........ Live = clever !!!

Why can Live get it right, and Logic can't.... ?

Hoping this does get implemented in the future.

• 5 months later...
"Flatten" the MIDI regions on the track your bouncing in place (ALL THE REGIONS on the track)_..after I did this, it bounced track in place correctly, and placed the newly created audio file below it. Sounds like a work-around yes, but it will now work.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Basically I came across this BOUNCE IN PLACE problem too. For me it was a case of the midi notes where exactly quantised to the full beat and this somehow affected logic's bouncing it in place. Use the transformer to reduce the note lengths by a couple of ticks, so they don't touch each other [sic] - it will now bounce correctly.

Go figure :shock: