Pedalboard - how can I control Wah with external pedal?

treeboxterry

Does anyone know how to use a foot pedal... perhaps a volume pedal, to control the wah pedal in the pedalboard insert in Logic 9? I'm just using the wah as a starting point... though I would like to be able to literally do this.

I think if I can understand just one instance of using an external controller that's not pre-built in (as in the sustain pedal for a piano setting) that I could figure out how to use external pedals in general within pedalboard.

I feel like it must be macro related... but can't find the right documentation to help me do this.

I hope somebody understands this and can explain.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how to use a foot pedal... perhaps a volume pedal, to control the wah pedal in the pedalboard insert in Logic 9? I'm just using the wah as a starting point... though I would like to be able to literally do this.

I think if I can understand just one instance of using an external controller that's not pre-built in (as in the sustain pedal for a piano setting) that I could figure out how to use external pedals in general within pedalboard.

I feel like it must be macro related... but can't find the right documentation to help me do this.

Thanks in advance.

You will need an external Midi controller (with a foot pedal) and assign the pedal part of the controller to the Wah. You will also need a basic understanding of Midi and what 'continuous controllers' are used for.

Google Midi foot controller and you will see some choices.

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/pi/0/38/48/3848844_125.jpg

Thanks in advance.

You will need an external Midi controller (with a foot pedal) and assign the pedal part of the controller to the Wah. You will also need a basic understanding of Midi and what 'continuous controllers' are used for.

Google Midi foot controller and you will see some choices.

http://ai.pricegrabber.com/pi/0/38/48/3848844_125.jpg

Okay - thanks for that. I should have included in my post that I've got quite a bit of experience with midi - it's just the specific use of an external continuous controller foot pedal linked to Logic to control (as an example) a wah pedal in the pedalboard plugin.

To be more clear - I have a synth (Alesis QS6) with a pedal connected to the "Sustain" port that will act as a piano damper when triggering a piano module in Logic. I want to use that pedal to control the Wah pedal. There's a second pedal port on the synth labelled "Pedal 1" that is shown in the manual with an Expression pedal attached. I could get a volume pedal, or other continuous controller type pedal, to plug into the "Pedal 1" port if that would work.

So, if anyone could point me to a specific example that I could apply to my post, or offer any more insight, I'd be grateful.

it's easy, heres what I did.

press cmd-L,....the learn mode box pops up,....

mouse click the wha pedal

move a controller,...I moved the mod wheel,...

done,...

rock out!

And if you learn using the macro control, then you can switch through preset pedalboards without having to re-learn it each time.

• open the disclosure triangle

• map the Macro A to Pedal Position

• then learn your MIDI control, but learn it to the macro slider and not the pedalboard directly.

Now, whenever you load a new pedalboard setup, if there is a wah pedal anywhere, it will map automatically. yay!

710641164_Picture1.thumb.png.f55b94f1fc96f2baa7a2fd805e7de9e0.png

Thanks for all the useful tips to all who posted them.

Though I'm not interested in assigning the function to a modulation wheel or other hand operated controller right now... that could come in handy down the road.

I've been playing with my setup, and I can see that the dampening pedal (sustain) works to turn the wah on or off - depending on whether it's down or up - it shows me that if I had a volume or expression pedal it would let me control using my foot.

When I get a foot operated continuous controller - I'll try assigning the pedal to run the slider by assigning it to the macro like B_Stone suggested. After all... manipulating keyboard mod wheels, etc. isn't too feasible while playing a guitar.

I'll update the thread when I try that out.

Thanks again.