Copying Midi Eventlist with smpt times into a text file???

RockItLoud

nosebagger has offered, I think, the easiest solution. I'd like to offer another one FWIW. A little more work, but it'll give you the ability to create a text file:

Values seen in the event, marker, and tempo lists, locators, etc., can be copied and pasted as text into an email, Word, Excel, TextEdit, etc. Try it out...

Open the marker list and double-click on the first SMPTE location. Then hit CMD-C copy. Open a text program (email, Word, whatever) and hit CMD-V. The number will be pasted in that document.

You can do the same with marker text. Just note that marker text generally appears as white text in Logic, so when you paste it into your text document you may have to highlight it and change the color to black (as I've done in the Word screenshot, below). Copying/pasting what you see there took about a minute.

657883708_Picture9.jpg.b4eca0a2bab609472688082bc71e0d23.jpg

887653626_Picture11.jpg.acebbb288804802f6c69325e9f43bc8d.jpg

I wasn't able to copy from the event or marker list in 8 and paste into Word. Is this new in 9 perhaps?

Just double-click on, say, the position field. CMD-C copy. Go to Word, Excel, email, whatever, then CMD-V paste. It's worked this way for me since Logic 4. I make my cue sheets this way -- set the locator to the next marker, 2-click the position field, copy, go to Excel, paste. Not sure why you can't do this... :shock:

That's a heck of a lot of action for 8 seconds of film, ski!

Yeah, I know, but notoriously the scriptwriter suffers from ADD.

[Thank you for the input. BUT..i need to copy the midi events data and the Textmarker tool is not available in the midi event list.

Another impotant issue is, the programmer need to copy the start and end events into the code editor! that means it must be editable afterwards,

another solutions out there.

thank you so much in advance.

best andy

So put the event list into SMPTE display mode and do the same thing -- copy and paste the SMPTE times.

Then manually annotate each hit point and send 'er off.

Bottom line: that's the easiest way to do this. There is no more elegant solution -- unless -- you were to translate each of your hit points into a marker. That's do-able. But by the time you got done naming all the markers you might as well have written out those names in your text file.

I wasn't able to copy from the event or marker list in 8 and paste into Word. Is this new in 9 perhaps?

Just double-click on, say, the position field. CMD-C copy. Go to Word, Excel, email, whatever, then CMD-V paste. It's worked this way for me since Logic 4. I make my cue sheets this way -- set the locator to the next marker, 2-click the position field, copy, go to Excel, paste. Not sure why you can't do this... :shock:

Ah, I was trying to copy the whole event. I see that you have to select it as text first. I note that copy and paste isn't necessary. Drag & drop seems to be working fine for this.

Another impotant issue is, the programmer need to copy the start and end events into the code editor! that means it must be editable afterwards,

I've attached an excel file someone made that I've used to generate cue logs from FCP. It may be useful if it converts start and duration to end times. Not sure if it does.

This is also a handy doodad:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/timecodecalculator.html

timecode_log.xls.zip

I note that copy and paste isn't necessary. Drag & drop seems to be working fine for this.

I'm confused. You can drag a SMPTE number from a Logic editor window right into a text editor of some kind? If so, how you do dat?

BTW, thanks for the link to the timecode calculator. Been looking for one for YEARS.

BTW#2, just checked out that Excel file. Been wanting one of those for YEARS too! Thanks so much, fader8, invaluable stuff.

Now if you'd just get back to me on that drag/drop thing I'll never say another bad word about you ever again in my life, I swear!

:mrgreen:

• 8 years later...
try......in project settings->general -  turn off musical grid - then copy and paste your event list into excel

You, my new friend, are a life saver.  (Or at the very least, a time saver :) 

Thank you!  Mind you, I found it in the main Record Menu, not in Preferences.  Maybe 10.3.2 moved it.  

Thanks again !