Logic Node on same computer works, but pointless

Matt Mayfield

So I just did a random test - launching Logic Node on my desktop machine as well as Logic Pro 9.0.1 allows me to select the same machine as a node.

On a machine with more than 4 GB of physical memory, this would be great for getting around memory issues... except for the fact that nodes don't support EXS24 or third-party instruments.

I just posted this in the spirit of brainstorming, in case it makes anyone else think of anything useful.

:... What Can’t Be Processed on a Node

The Node buttons are available for all audio and software instrument tracks. There are, however, some exceptions:

EXS instruments: These are always calculated on the host. The reason for this is the potentially demanding transfer of samples via the network, resulting in a slowdown of audio processing over the network. The sample library needs to be present on the host computer itself.

Multi-output instruments such as Ultrabeat: Further to this, Ultrabeat also has a similar problem to the EXS24 with sample-based kits.

Audio Units software instruments: When an Audio Units software instrument track is selected, the Node button is automatically turned off.

The Logic Pro Node application can process Audio Units effects.

It is possible, however, that some Audio Units effects may not support the Node functionality of Logic Pro. You can disable the Node processing for incompatible Audio Units effects in the Audio Units Manager.

It is not possible to calculate input, output, bus, or aux channels on a Node."

It defeats the entire point of the concept.

So I keep toying with the concept of multiple computers (i.e. mini mac), each with its own interface and monitor(s).

One master, the rest slaves all controlled by sync.

It would be like assigning a computer to an individual band member. Unlimited channels/tracks and processing power for each member.

It's a small price to pay to rid the world of overloading a single system.