Why deleting tracks in Logic is a pain?

ozinga

Hi

I am running Logic 9.0.1 and this problem still exists.I think since 8.0

When the projects get crowded it takes forever to delete a track. even an empty one. And most of the time all my play and kontakt libraries reload after deleting an unrelated track and make the waiting more painful.Might be related to core audio reset I don't know.

Do they not test this stuff during beta?

Oz

Mac Pro 3.2 8 Core

10gigs ram

OSX5.8

RME FF800

PT HD Accel 3

How do you define crowded ?

I'm running projects with 80+ tracks and track deletion is instantaneous. I'm not using Play or Kontakt, so maybe there's your problem.

And no, I'm quite sure they don't test their software on your specific rig with your specific projects with your specific set of plugins on your specific hardware during beta.

Christian

How do you define crowded ?

I'm running projects with 80+ tracks and track deletion is instantaneous. I'm not using Play or Kontakt, so maybe there's your problem.

And no, I'm quite sure they don't test their software on your specific rig with your specific projects with your specific set of plugins on your specific hardware during beta.

Christian

As you see it's not my rig. I never meant it to be either. What a nonsense reply.

You treat my question as I am a newbie but fyi I have been doing this for 20 years. I am not asking that an amateur free plugin that I found on the internet causes Logic to crash do they not test it during beta?

What I meant is do they not test the program with heavy loaded projects. That's it. Since you do not have the problem and do not use samplebased plugins that gives at least a sign about the problem. So that's good.

If the only reason were Kontakt then I could put the blame on it but since Play does it too there is something wrong with Logic's handling of sample based ram using plugins that somehow causes them to reload.

BTW NI responded to my email before telling that the way Logic handles undo causes this. This was when I was using Logic 8 and we are at 9 so...

Oz

Just for clarification: I'm not treating you as a newbie. But i do request you to give as much info as you can, therefore I ask about what you define as crowded. Now don't tell me lots or many. I'm not asking this to keep you busy, but to help everyone in helping you.

Also, I mentioned to you that I'm not getting this problem in crowded projects with Kontakt and Play absent. What I didn't mention is that I'm working in projects filled to the brim with EXSs, Omnispheres, Styluses and Trilogies on a daily basis, so I'm not just throwing MIDI Notes at a GM keyboard either.

The bit about NI knowing about it would have been helpful.

Anyway, since this is sorted, try if reducing the # of Undo Steps to 0 and clearing the Undo History changes anything.

Christian

Just for clarification: I'm not treating you as a newbie. But i do request you to give as much info as you can, therefore I ask about what you define as crowded. Now don't tell me lots or many. I'm not asking this to keep you busy, but to help everyone in helping you.

Also, I mentioned to you that I'm not getting this problem in crowded projects with Kontakt and Play absent. What I didn't mention is that I'm working in projects filled to the brim with EXSs, Omnispheres, Styluses and Trilogies on a daily basis, so I'm not just throwing MIDI Notes at a GM keyboard either.

The bit about NI knowing about it would have been helpful.

Anyway, since this is sorted, try if reducing the # of Undo Steps to 0 and clearing the Undo History changes anything.

Christian

I did not mean you throw midi notes at a GM keyboard either : )

I thought you were doing mostly audio and maybe non samplebased synths.

As you said rompler type plugins like omnisphere don't cause this.Or EXS for that matter.

Anyway the problem still exists with a light project too. 6 Audio Tracks 7-8 AU plugins.But not as bad or frequent as with projects containing more tracks of either kind.

My undo step were at 10 following an advice. Now I will try it with less or 0 and also will check if Kontakt 4 changes anything.

I am trying to stay away from EW Play as possible as I can anyway.But it's hard to give up Kontakt.

Thanks

Oz

• 1 month later...