Channel Strip setting deleted, how to restore?

bpbpbp

Hi,

Does anybody know how I can restore the Logic 9 Acoustic guitar channel strip setting called 'Acoustic becomes electric' or similar? I deleted it by accident.

In fact, I may have deleted others whilst starting to use the program, and wonder if there is a way to restore all from my Upgrade CDs?

First of all, are you sure it's really gone? The place that item normally lives is here:

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track/03 Acoustic Guitar/Acoustic Becomes Electric.cst

When you browse in the Finder to that exact location, are you sure it's not there?

If you had used that setting and saved it as your own (probably after modifying it), then it would normally end up here:

Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Track/Acoustic Becomes Electric.cst

That's another place you might want to look. Or maybe it's possible that you deleted it from the latter location, and don't realize that there's still another copy in the former location.

You could also try looking for it with Spotlight. But if you do that, you need to tell Spotlight that you are interested in seeing System files. More details about that here.

If the item is really nowhere to be found on your drive, you can recover if from your Logic install disks. The easy way to do this is with Pacifist. Insert your Logic Studio Install disk. Launch Pacifist. Press the button "Open Apple Install Discs" and then select "Logic Studio (Logic Studio Install)." It will take a little while to open. When prompted for the other disks, just say "Skip."

In the window that appears, enter 'becomes' into the Find field and press return. You will see the item you're looking for. Now just drag it into the proper folder, as I noted above.

This is much faster than using the regular Logic installer to get the item, because the installer won't let you pick out exactly the item you need, the way Pacifist does.

I keep my Logic disks stored as disk images on an external drive. That makes this process much easier, and I can keep the physical disks stored in a safe place where I never touch them. So the risk of them being lost or damaged is greatly reduced.

I may have deleted others whilst starting to use the program, and wonder if there is a way to restore all from my Upgrade CDs?

Everything I said above should also apply to the other items you're talking about.

Thank you very much - you've just intro'd me to a great piece of software as well as helping me find my missing channel settings.

That setting had definitely gone - seems too easy to delete them from within Logic, no warning or anything.

:D

a great piece of software

Yes, Pacifist is terrific. By the way, it turns out that the author of Pacifist has posted in this forum.

no warning or anything

The first time you delete a channel strip setting, you do get a warning. But you won't see the warning next time if you select the checkbox that says "Don't show again."

If you want to reset that, I think you can probably do so by replacing your Logic preferences file, as explained here.

• 3 years later...

I got my Logic through the App store, so I have no install discs, but I too have accidentally deleted some Channel Strip Settings, and they are no longer in the Library folder. How can I get the setting back? Indeed, I think I might have deleted a few, so what I'd really like to do is just get all the default Channel Strip Settings available.

Thanks!