Disk to slow... ? on my new iMac i7 !

mikeebruno

Well yes...

I' recording ONE audio track while back playing 2 audios and very often I see That message of " disk to slow"

Once I was doing a fast demo of a song with the singer while her manager was waiting... disk to slow... furious, I dragged the folder to an another disk and everything was fine ! oooff !

Yes, I am recording on the system dick, the tera bit disk in my imac i7... I don't think it's should be wrong !?

is it ?

Should I use my back up disk (via FW800) to record now ? ( boo)

thanks !

ciao

Well, it seems that you should be getting better results than you are getting, that's for sure.

On the other hand, it's always recommended to record to a drive that does not have Logic or the operating system on it. This is why the Mac Pro is the "professional" version of the Mac family, you know? Things like that.

Basically, there are a lot of things that can bottleneck in a computer, and the speed of the CPU can't make all of that go away- you're trying to record to and play back from the same physical, spinning disc at the same time- you can imagine that it is hard for the drive to be able to spin fast enough to pull the audio information from the disc and find free space to write new information to itself, right?

Add to the fact that you are likely bringing in audio information via Firewire. But actually, I have no idea what you are doing- you should tell us what your setup is, and maybe we can offer some concrete suggestions.

Thanks...

Like you said, I should get better results for sure.

My task is very basic.

Motu FW400 goes through my back up drive, FW800.

Recording vocal track while playing 2 rhythm tracks... very simple.

You see my set up down here, iMac i7

But finaly I will record on an external drive...

thanks

Thanks...

Like you said, I should get better results for sure.

My task is very basic.

Motu FW400 goes through my back up drive, FW800.

Recording vocal track while playing 2 rhythm tracks... very simple.

You see my set up down here, iMac i7

But finaly I will record on an external drive...

thanks

Hey Mike, sorry I missed your rig in the signature and told you to put it in. That was my oversight.

Well, it seems like a new computer, so this may or may not have any noticeable effect, but you may get better results keeping your drives good and defragged- I use the Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner for this. I can't imagine this is going to help much, frankly, and this should show you how little I have to actually offer in the way of help.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't be able to get better results, is the thing. What you are doing should be well within the parameters of what you are asking.

I'm still going to focus on your setup, though: I would try running the MOTU into its 400 Firewire slot and let the audio record out of the 800 slot into an external drive. This is still hardly ideal, though: you're running in and out on the same bus. But for the light work you are doing, you shouldn't have too much bandwidth bottlenecking- and either way, it's going to tell you something about the setup that you have now.

The problem could be somewhere else in your chain. Probably not the MOTU device, but the backup drive may be slowing things down somewhere- I would also do a check on that drive just to make sure everything is working as it should while you're at it.

I'll post more if I have any other thoughts, let us know how it works and what you've done. Good luck!

Thanks my friend !

I red in one of your links that some one asked about runnig time machine , or if time machine was set "on"

well This is my case !!

Is this as someting to do with it ??

thanks

If timemachine was in the process of running a backup when you were trying to record, then yes, that could be the culprit as you would have been thrashing your hard drive.

Good practice, no matter how fast your machine:

a) Time Machine OFF

b) WiFi OFF

c) any application not being used for current music program OFF (including FireFox etc.)

There are so many little sub-programs in applications that automatically DO STUFF and some require serious access to the hard drive, which asPerson99 above said, can thrash your drive about and cause nasty surprises. When you are recording digital audio, help your computer help YOU. ;) Turn off all the extra crap! ;)

There's something fishy going on...

My new iMac has half the specs of the OP, I'm running OS 10.6.2, and have no problems recording to my internal disk, even with Time Machine and Wi-Fi on.

Could it be a problem with Logic 9?

I have also had Time Machine "on" and it has worked okay, but one time it really crapped stuff out. So now I kill it when I'm doing That Recording Thang I do.

A lot of this is just giving your computer the best chance to do it's "music job" without distraction. ;)

I have also had Time Machine "on" and it has worked okay, but one time it really crapped stuff out. So now I kill it when I'm doing That Recording Thang I do.

A lot of this is just giving your computer the best chance to do it's "music job" without distraction. ;)

Agreed, I now keep Time Machine off while in Logic, then at convenient moments get it to perform backups when I want.

Well yes...

I' recording ONE audio track while back playing 2 audios and very often I see That message of " disk to slow"

Once I was doing a fast demo of a song with the singer while her manager was waiting... disk to slow... furious, I dragged the folder to an another disk and everything was fine ! oooff !

Yes, I am recording on the system dick, the tera bit disk in my imac i7... I don't think it's should be wrong !?

is it ?

Should I use my back up disk (via FW800) to record now ? ( boo)

thanks !

ciao

It's definetly not the hardware -at least, I'm pretty sure. I've got a late 2006 iMac and I can record lots of files simultaneously - I think I've done around 20 tracks at 48khz, albeit at higher latency.

For one - does this happen if you increase the buffers size? Try that out first.

If that doesn't work, chances are that there's something accessing your filesystem. The most likely candidates are time machine and spotlight. You should probably disable spotlight on any folders that you're recording to, as that can cause problems.

There could be other programs too - like on my system, a silly Epson scanner utility and Parallels keep on accessing the disk once per second. To find out if anything's working in the background, while Logic is NOT running, open the terminal and type "sudo fs_usage". It's normal to see *some* activity. Hit CTRL-C to stop it after maybe a dozen seconds or more and scroll back to look at what's been going on.

You'll see a lot of "SystemUIServer" access (look at the right-most column.). I also have iStatLocalDaemon and a few other things, but if you see another process that's hitting the disk more, that's your problem.

Please post back with your results - I'm curious to know what it is.

Hope this helps,

Dave

I now keep Time Machine off while in Logic

I find it's not a problem to keep it running all the time, but maybe I'm lucky. I also keep Airport running all the time.

On the other hand, if you really want to streamline your machine, I think it's a good idea to turn off Bluetooth and Ethernet. I think they are often on in settings where they are never used. It's especially easy to think you never use Ethernet and not realize that it's been on since the day you brought your machine home.