Midi output via Bouncing

JStuart

Hello All;

I am new to this recording thing so bare with me . . . I'm a drummer use to acoustic things!

I am utilizing Logic Express and an Apple Power Book G4; I am attempting to Bounce a simple song (2 audio tracks and one midi track via my Roland TD-20 thru a Tascam US-122) into an mp3. When attempting to bounce everything "appears" to proceed properly. When I listen back to the mp3 I only hear the audio recording but no drum/midi tracks. Any solutions or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! :roll:

gdoubleyou,

Yes that makes sense. I guess my question is ultimately how to record the output of the midi track to an audio track via my Roland TD-20? I have been looking / working through Martin Sitter's Logic Pro & Express 7 book and cannot seem to find the solution. Any thougts?

Thanks also for your reply!

my question is ultimately how to record the output of the midi track to an audio track via my Roland TD-20

You need to make sure you have the Audio Outputs of your TD-20 cabled into Audio Inputs on your US-122. Then you can record Audio Tracks in Logic, with their input set to those very inputs. So you will be playing Logic, which will send the MIDI data to your TD-20, while recording its Audio Outputs on separate Audio Tracks.

David,

First, thanks for your assistance! Second, still no luck! This time I simply created a new file and recorded a drum track utilizing my TD-20 via an audio track (track 1). Everything appeared fine and on play back everything sounded great. Then when I attempted to bounce that file to an mp3; I hear the drum part being played as the system (realtime) loads it but when I go to listen - nothing! I did notice in the bottom portion of the Bounce "Output 1-2" dialogue box that there was a statement to the effect no data or output? So clearly I am still doing something wrong :evil: !

Any thoughts or perspectives -- thanks in advance for your assistance!!

I wish I could see exactly what you're doing... anyway of taking a screenshot and uploading it somewhere.. or emailing it to me?

Otherwise.. you say you recorded your drums and created an audio file. Can you check that you actually recorded Audio into that file and that it is not empty? You should see a waveform if you zoom on that file (In the Arrange or Audio window).

David,

! I did notice in the bottom portion of the Bounce "Output 1-2" dialogue box that there was a statement to the effect no data or output? So clearly I am still doing something wrong :evil: !

Did you set the start and end positions in the bounce menu? If they both say

"1 1 1 1," then there is nothing for logic to bounce so leave the start posistion as "1 1 1 1" and try setting the end position to "8 1 1 1."

Chris,

Thanks for your reply -- yes the start and end positions are/where set up correctly.

David,

Sure enough when I double click the track it shows up as a MIDI track. So I guess the question changes (do you suggest I start another thread?): utilizing the Roland TD-20 Module (or any Midi module for that matter) how does one set up an audio file via a MIDI trigger/controller?

To review; here is my set-up:

Roland TD-20 Module Midi Out/Thru -- Tascam Midi In

Roland TD-20 Module Midi In -- Tascam Midi Out

Tascam USB -- Apple PowerBook G4

In the arrange window; a track is selected, Port - US-122 Midi, Channel 10 for drum track. I can lay down a groove and "record" it and listen back to it within Logic but when I attempt to bounce it - no luck with the drum/midi track, only audio files "bounce".

Any thoughts - still researching the answer via M. Sitter book. Thanks!!

My interpretation of all the posts you've made is that you've got midi data playing back, that when you record has no way to record the sounds from your sound module. Your setup isn't showing audio in from your keyboard.

Ultimately, it looks like you've got a midi track not triggering any sounds when you record. Consider capturing your midi performance from the audio outputs of your keyboard rather than the midi (which has been said, I believe) OR assign one of the virtual instruments to that track and see what happens.

If I seem way off base on this one, someone please interject.

:lol: Mission Accomplished!

First of all -- thank you to all of you for taking the time to respond and provide input & suggestions; I very much appreciate it. In the end, it was a combination of your input, extra reading and perhaps dumb stupidity.

Here is my solution (there are perhaps "better" ways):

1 - Recorded MIDI drums via Roland TD-20 via the Tascam

2 - Created Audio file (Input 1); Solo'd Midi Drum track; Set Tascam Midi Out to the Roland TD-20 Midi In; took the Phones (stereo, as opposed to the Master out which is Mono until I purchase additional cords) from the Roland to the Line/Guitar In Left (played with the input settings);set up the record functions (ensured the click was off!) and recorded the orginal MIDI drum track to the Audio track/file and BOOM and got the Roland TD-20 sounds (great Hi-Hat sensitivity/dynamics) as an audio file without the click track and thus completing my first recording project!!

So thanks again for all of your input and suggestions! Love to hear any thoughts or perspectives on this approach. Have a great evening!

Well you got it!

Now your next step is to separate your midi sequence into different midi sequences for each drum: one for the kick, one for the snare, one for the hi-hat... that way you then have several midi tracks, one for each sequence. You can solo and record, in turn, the kick, snare and hi-hat onto separate audio tracks!

Then you can eq/reverb/fx each track as you like!