In The Box??

Vankarius

Are you mixing in the box??  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Are you mixing in the box??

• Of course, who needs a mixer anyway?
    • Are you kidding, that sounds like crap!
    • In the box...uh, I unpacked my computer before I started using it...

Definitely soft mixing all the way, here, Vank ! ! ! !

We DO use the Soundcraft, but only to get the levels/EQ/etc of racked

hardware sources right before they get into a Logic audio track.

Also, outboard EQ and some mics also go through it on occasions.

But, the mixdown is always in Logic (as it was in Cubase), and with as

much automation as we can achieve.

Mastering is done in DSP-Quattro/Ozone/WaveArts as a separate job.

(The daft vote was mine, btw ! ! ! ! )

8)

For most work you can do everything in the box nowadays. I've heard mixes done both in Logic and ProTools, all in the box, and they sounded amazing.

It's the mixer who makes all the difference. If you mix yourself, you can probably make a 0.5% difference by changing the tools you use, but you will make a 99.5% difference by keeping at it, listening closer, trying harder, and keeping improving your skills.

.........routing them internally to my fireface and then back to Logic...........

Interesting, Eric.

So, you just digitally re-record the D/A output of your Fireface and it sounds

better ? Without any other treatment in the analog domain ? Yes ?

:?:

No :wink:

Everything will be treated digitally but inside the fireface.

RME's totalmix offers you this option... I think it works at 48bit floating point but I'm not sure :shock:

I love to mix records... Pretty much all I do these days...

I usually mix on a pretty big analog desk with a whole boatload of crazy analog outboard gear.

Speaking strictly for myself, I am unable to even remotely approach the speed and sonics using any other system available to me.

Doesn't stop me from trying on a regular basis.

It's all good. Just a question of what suits yer methodologies and expectations.

Best to all,

Tim "Rumblefish" Gilles

PS. Just for the record... I source everything from Logic and do a ton of stuff in the box(Like automated Eqing and Dessing, a slew of wacky ESX stuff, plugs and treatments of all sorts), I just prefer the desk summing, the analog outboard and the speed of working on a LFAC over anything else.

• 9 months later...

So i'm LOVING recording 24/96 with the Fireface 800, but my 16/44.1 bounces obviously lose that incredible airy depth and detail and warmth. for mixdown within logic, what is the best way to retain as much of that as possible?

or are there other options, like some kind of 2-track digital deck that would have better results and capture more of this beautiful sound i'm hearing at 24/96?

completely new topic of thought for me, forgive my ignorance. Cheers!

I mix everything within logic using Logic Control and 2x XTs.

But I must try bouncing to some outboard gear for a change, and see if I can improve the feel.....

One friend of mine uses his concrete basement as a reverb room..... he plays his audio tracks through decent monitors mounted on the wall at one end of his basement, then records the reverberations using one or two condensers at the other end of the room....Then mixes the result with the original signal....I've heard it.....very effective indeed!