How to... get a song track on a tight clic

mikeebruno

I want to re arrange Sunday bloody sunday ( U2) this was originally made no clik track at all.

Now I want to follow that song with my sequencer ( logic for sure)

Two ways a thought :

1) Time stretch the track with FLEX... like quantize the song at 1/4 note or anything else... It works for 2 bars and Flex gets it all wrong putting the song out of time.

2) Now, get my sequencer to follow... analyze the track , get a groove template. Program my clik track to be quantize with my groove template made with the song...

Same thing happen, no one can follow each other !!

How to make it works...

Cubase SX 3 would !!

Thanks for your helps

If you want to work with any of Logic's time based features (Flex, Groove templates, Quantize, etc...), the first thing you should do is beat map your song. That way Logic knows where the downbeats are etc...

Once that's done you can do pretty much anything you want, flex, groove template, quantize, change the tempo map, etc...

The fastest way to beat map is to start at the top and put beat mapping lines at the downbeat of the first few bars to establish the tempo. Let the click free-run from the last line you draw in for as long as possible until it drifts. Then back up a bar or two and draw another line. Continue the process, letting the tempo free-run for as long as possible until it drifts. And yes, you have to do this manually to the end of the song.

However...

Once you're done, delete all of the lines except the first and last and see how well the click lines up with the song. By doing this you've let Logic figure out the average tempo for the entire track. You can erase the lines quite easily with the eraser tool, swiping across the lines you want to delete.

The result might be just fine. Or it might not. If it's not, just hit UNDO to get your lines back. From there, fine-tune the click as necessary by adding additional lines.

Yeah, it takes a while, but the results can be extremely tight.