I/O labels not showing up [SOLVED]

robertg

I can't seem to get the input I/O labels to show in the mixer. They are always shown as input 1-2 ,etc and not the custom labels I have defined. I've tried wiping the preferences file, blank project, etc, same behavior. The custom labels DO save properly in the config page, just never show up correctly anywhere in logic (except for bus labels). Any help is appreciated

Make sure that the desired labels are selected in the I/O label page? The radio-button in front of the name should be black, not white.

Where are you expecting to see those labels?

they are indeed properly selected.. I have them all set to 'user'

I'm expecting to see them in the channel strips under the I/O section.

OK sounds to me like you're doing everything right and yet it's not working. I would try to quit Logic, trash ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/IOLabels Core Audio/, reopen Logic and re-enter your I/O labels, see if that works.

I don't have that file because sometime 6 months or so ago I decided to reformat and reinstall OS X with a fresh copy of logic 9. Previously I had 7, then upgraded to 8 > 9 and don't recall having label problems then. From what I read apple has stopped using that file as of version 9.

What I did try is wiping the logic preferences file, creating a new admin user and started logic that way (with a blank project) - all to no avail. I think something is broken..

Logic 9 still uses that file. When you write your own custom I/O labels, then quit Logic, the file is being written in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/. Note that ~/ indicates your home folder, so make sure that's where you start to look. And always quit Logic before you move that file.

I don't believe that's correct. From what I've read on multiple forums, one of which here ( http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=300005 ) states that the labels are no longer stored there by Logic 9, but it will read it if it's present.

Also on the apple forums ( http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11357255 )

I don't know firsthand from apple that this is the case, but by my own test it seems to be. Between logic sessions, my labels are always stored in the IO labels preferences screen. After I moved ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.plist to the Desktop, the labels were gone.

I also checked under terminal because I know the finder hides files sometimes and didn't see it there. Still a mystery..

OK thanks for linking to those threads. Your signature is confusing, I just realized it says 9.9.1, which I just read as 9.1 - maybe it means 9.1.1?

It certainly behaves this way on my system (9.1): I quit Logic and erase the file. Open Logic, all my custom I/O names are gone. Write new custom names in Logic, quit Logic: a new I/O file is created in the Finder.

Maybe that behavior changes in 9.1.1?

OK your signature is confusing, I just realized it says 9.9.1, which I just read as 9.1 - maybe it means 9.1.1?

It certainly behaves this way on my system (9.1): I quit Logic and erase the file. Open Logic, all my custom I/O names are gone. Write new custom names in Logic, quit Logic: a new I/O file is created in the Finder.

Yeah, sorry 9.1.1 I should fix that.. Meanwhile I've also been testing on my Macbook pro which still has 8, 9.0.2 along with 9.1.1.

I've tested with all 3 versions.. created a label and then quit logic (version 8 and 9.0.2) - both of those make the IOLabels Core Audio file, 9.1.1 does not..

Regardless even when com.apple.logic.pro.plist and the labels file are both wiped and the logic prior-versions re-create them, they never show up in the mixer.. I even got new MOTU drivers to no avail.. hrm

OK your signature is confusing, I just realized it says 9.9.1, which I just read as 9.1 - maybe it means 9.1.1?

Yeah, sorry 9.1.1 I should fix that.. Meanwhile I've also been testing on my Macbook pro which still has 8, 9.0.2 along with 9.1.1.

I've tested with all 3 versions.. created a label and then quit logic (version 8 and 9.0.2) - both of those make the IOLabels Core Audio file, 9.1.1 does not..

Regardless even when com.apple.logic.pro.plist and the labels file are both wiped and the logic prior-versions re-create them, they never show up in the mixer.. I even got new MOTU drivers to no avail.. hrm

I have gone to the trouble today of putting a blank hard drive into my mac pro.. I installed snow leopard and all the updates, logic 9 and all the updates to bring it to 9.1.1 Also the latest MOTU drivers.

Still labels do not show up. I suspect this is now a confirmed logic bug, I guess the only course of action is to contact apple support.

• 3 months later...

I found a workaround for anyone having this issue - and this is the ONLY thing that has worked after a week of trying everything on several forums.

Open Logic, set your labels how you want.

While Logic is open go to ~/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.logic.pro.plist

Quit Logic. I don't think it matters whether you save your project or not. When Logic quits a new plist will be written, and this one WILL have your labels!

Seems on my machine Logic would not update the IO labels bit of the prefs unless it was writing a complete new prefs file.

• 7 months later...

Thank you, organik.

Luckily, I wrote the whole set of labels only twice, than I went to search on google :)

Now I need to write all those labels again... sometimes Logic is really time consuming :(

BIG THANK YOU!!