Slow loading EXS24 Instruments [SOLVED]

schpikster

Hi,

I've recently finally decided to take the plunge and migrate my ageing PC-based Logic 5.5.1 setup to a funky new Mac-based Logic Pro 9 setup.

A massive leap I know, but i thought I'd prepared well. I'd got AU versions of all the plugins I wished to retain and had my EXS library ready to transfer.

Everything works fine, apart from ridiculously slow loading EXS25 instruments. I've filed everything as simply as possible, with both EXS instruments and the samples in their respecitive folders, as suggested in the manual. Everything loads successfully, however Logic still seems to take an age to load any instrument, sometimes up to 10mins.

From reading up on this, I understand I am not alone; Logic is essentially scanning all local volumes for the relevant samples. However, on Logic 5, it did this once per session (when loading the first instrument) and then seemed to find all future instruments within a second or two, until the PC was restarted. Obviously here, it had found the location of the samples and chose this as the first place to look for all future samples. OSX/Logic 9 does not seem to do this.

My research tells me to obtain 'EXS Manager'; however this is a commercial product and do not wish to spend further money. I have also heard about a fabled Logic 'project manager', but that this has come and gone, and is no longer present in logic 9.

Does anyone have a cut and dried solution to this problem? I have about 20Gb of samples/instruments and can't bear the thought of waiting 10min to load each instrument...doing the maths for how long it would take to load every instrument makes my head hurt...

Thanks

Mike

Edited by schpikster

Thanks for the quick response!

I've figured out the problem. I had an NTFS hard disk mounted (i've been copying all my old windows stuff across), and disabling the indexing of this drive and getting spotlight to re-index the remaining drives has sorted it out. Instruments now only take a second or so to load. Hooray!

Thanks for the quick response!

I've figured out the problem. I had an NTFS hard disk mounted (i've been copying all my old windows stuff across), and disabling the indexing of this drive and getting spotlight to re-index the remaining drives has sorted it out. Instruments now only take a second or so to load. Hooray!

Still would be good to have the EXS24 data on an HFS+ file system....

It is now. I moved all the EXS instruments and samples onto my main hard drive. Now i've got that working, i'm going to copy my logic songs and audio across, then format my old NTFS drive to HFS+ or whatever is mac standard. I'll then use it a for storing all my recordings as i like to keep them on a seperate disk to my program files / samples (don't know if that's still necessary, it's just a practice i've retained from my PC days!)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just found a solution for a similar problem, that EXS would hang forever when I loaded a new sample in Logic Pro 9.1.1. It eventually loaded, but only after 5 minutes of looking at the beachball, which made it unusable. I only have an internal drive on a white macbook with 4GB Ram and OSX 10.6.

I tried rebuilding the spotlight index, repairing disk permissions, nothing helped.

Anyway, the solution for me was to unmount my Bootcamp drive. Apparently it tried searching there as well, which was really slow (found out by looking at the activity monitor, it had a system process called NTFS-3G running with high workload).

Now everything works like a charm, EXS samples load in an instant :)

Good luck,

Christian

• 7 months later...

I had the same issue and thought it was crashing when loading a selected instrument in the library, then I realised by accident that it was taking too long and found the answer here.

There should be a feedback button like in yahoo answers to indicate how useful was the response, I would have give you 5 stars.

Hi,

I just found a solution for a similar problem, that EXS would hang forever when I loaded a new sample in Logic Pro 9.1.1. It eventually loaded, but only after 5 minutes of looking at the beachball, which made it unusable. I only have an internal drive on a white macbook with 4GB Ram and OSX 10.6.

I tried rebuilding the spotlight index, repairing disk permissions, nothing helped.

Anyway, the solution for me was to unmount my Bootcamp drive. Apparently it tried searching there as well, which was really slow (found out by looking at the activity monitor, it had a system process called NTFS-3G running with high workload).

Now everything works like a charm, EXS samples load in an instant :)

Good luck,

Christian

• 2 years later...

Unbelievable!!

Thank you Christian very much for that solution!

Unmounted two Bootcamp VMs and it worked for me too :)

(I thought I lost the project already, it didn't open even after an hr or so.)

But I must say, I didn't notice any suspicious activity, just hanged Logic showing window "loading some .exs and a name "EXS24", where usually samples are shown when loading"

I was obviously messing around something with samples. (Apple doesn't like that, I know)

After that, the loading progress warned me that it can't find specific sample, I clicked "continue".

And there is no option for manual search either, just "Continue" & "Search again" which obviously can't find anything :?

(Didn't reindex spotlight due time limit, not sure if this could help though)

Project loaded, then replaced missing samples in sample editor and al iz gud :D

I think Apple should consider give us an option to exclude a search on non Apple partitions in Logic (i.e. FAT32, NTFS, ....), if it is not there already, but I miss looked it.

Edit: One can exclude indexing any partition/drive in Spotlight Privacy.

Thnx,

Roger

• 3 years later...