Logic v7.1 - Problems MIDI Learning (Controller Assignments)

sayr777

I have been able to get my M-Audio Oxygen8 and Evolution UC-33 (MIDI knob & slider box) to work pretty well with Logic's MIDI Learn (in Controller Assignments). But, I am unable to get my M-Audio Ozonic to work with Logic's MIDI Learn. The same problem happens on my Nord Lead which is connected to my G5 via the MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI Interface.

The same problem also happens with Logic's Automation Quick Access.

Either in the Controller Assignments window or in Automation Quick access, when I activate MIDI Learn and move a knob on the Ozonic or Nord Lead, it appears to be Learning (it sees the knob and shows the CC # properly).

Then it just doesn't work.

When I MIDI Learn in Reaktor, it works immediately, everytime from both the Ozonic and the Nord. Same with Reason. When I Edit "Remote Override Mapping", it works perfect. That's how I know the Ozonic and Nord are in the proper mode and working as they should.

Also, I know Logic is seeing the Ozonic and Nord Lead's CC knobs because the Ozonic's 1st knob and last slider automatically control the selected track's Pan & Volume (respectively). The Nord's Amp Gain also controls the selected track's Volume. No other CC's on either device -except obviously Pitch Bend and Mod Whl- are able to be mapped to Logic's MIDI Learn.

When I Logic's Event List, I can see which CC is being received from the Ozonic and Nord, so I know, for example: The Nord's Filt Cutoff and Res are transmitting 71 & 74 (as they should) to Logic.

I just downloaded MIDI Monitor and plan to use it tomorrow to see exactly which Controllers are being transmitted from the Ozonic/Nord and perhaps I'll figure out how to manually configure it.

Even after reading the section of the manual over and over that shows how to do this, the Expert View of Logic's Controller Assignments has quite a few settings that are still over my head to some extent.

I have been told it should work with any MIDI Controller (even "unsupported" ones), but I am not having any luck... anyone think I'm missing something???

No worries! :D

Well, MIDI Monitor not only told me what was being transmitted from my controllers, but it also trimmed off a bit of extra info (probably SysEx) that was confusing Logic's MIDI Learn function.

The weird thing is that, without MIDI Monitor, both my Nord Lead and the Ozonic were sending this extra info that would appear after the basic CC info in the "Value Change" window, (example: "B0 11 Lo7 FF 00 00" instead of just "B0 11 Lo7" which is what Logic is expecting) and this extra info would prevent the parameter from being mapped to the knob or slider. Also, if I kept twisting the knob (being learned) even after it has been learned, it would add to the "Value Change" window's info - as long as "Learn Mode" was still enabled.

Sometimes turning off Learn Mode would remove the un-needed info, leaving just the proper info and other times, turning OFF Learn Mode would remove the proper info and leave the extra (FF 00 00 or FF 00 Hi7) and remove the un-needed info.

As soon as I launch MIDI Monitor, it is perfect every time. All of my controllers transmit just the proper info ("B0 4A Lo7" etc...) and it learns just fine.

I've contemplated marking all of my controllers' knobs and sliders w/ labels that would tell me what the (decimal) CC# (and B0 ... Lo7#) is for that CC, but I think I'll just always launch MIDI Monitor while learning Controller Assignments.

Now I just need to figure out what the "Zones" and "Modes" are used for.

The manual has provided little help in describing common usages for these hierarchical controller setups.

I understand the structure of it, but not why or how you should use the Zones and Modes instead of having all of your assignments in one BIG list that is Mode-less and Zone-less.

And as for fixing the problem of the Ozonic and Nord transmitting extemporaneous CC info, I just have the work-around of using MIDI Monitor as the translater, but I haven't figured out where I can change a setting and make it filter out the extra info from within Logic.

Just so you know, I've thoroughly tried everything I can find in Logic.

1. Turning on SysEx filtering, in Song Settings

2. Turning off SysEx in the MIDI-Chase Song Settings.

3. Switching around these Control Surfaces Prefs:

A. Set "Multiple Controls Per Parameter" to "1" instead of "2", because it says "For longer labels and value displays".

B. Unchecked "Only when all parameters fit on one page"

Without MIDI Monitor running, I tried learning from Ozonic and Nord Lead and no matter which way any of these settings are set, it always does pretty much the same thing. Double, triple and quadruple length CC info adding more and more to the "Value Change" window as I twist the knob more.

Gotta run MIDI Monitor all the time I guess.

Oops, above I meant to say:

Sometimes turning off Learn Mode would remove the un-needed info, leaving just the proper info and other times, turning OFF Learn Mode would remove the proper info and leave the extra (FF 00 00 or FF 00 Hi7) un-needed info.

:oops:

• 5 months later...